_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Mirage HMS Anchusa
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC
I just recieved my model so I thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. The kit come in a not-too-sturdy top opening box. 3 sprues in 1 bag, so a couple of pieces were broken. It's a gray, brittle-ish plastic. Some sprue attachement points are large and heavy, and are sometimes thicker than the attached parts. On some of the parts the attachement point continues onto the piece requiring careful clean up. The 4" gun has 4 attachement points and really needs careful cutting to not bend or break the barrel, and the propeller has no less than 6 attachments! I would compare general quality to that of an older Trumpeter kit, although surface detail on some parts are sharp and on other pieces, heavy or soft. For instance, deck detail and planking are reasonably well done as are the windows and portholes on the superstructure and hull. Masts are finely cast, but items such as weapons, depth charges and racks, K guns, and boat davits are plain and lacking fine detail. A nice touch, however, is the bollards and fairleads are moulded separately, are finely done, and have small attachement points. Some deck railing, which on the prototype were covered with dodgers, and splinter shields appear as thick armor plating (although Mirage is certainly not the first company to make that error). The funnel is in 3 pieces with the funnel cap without any opening and the grill moulded on. A point to note is that the funnel should have a slight rake to it, and since there is no positioning key, and the funnel is round, care must be taken to make sure
the funnel is pointing in the right direction. Stairs are solid and moulded to the superstructure, and the smaller ventilators are also solid and would have to be drilled or dremeled out. The model is full hull only, and on mine the halves were slightly warped. There are a couple of nasty raised pin marks near the aft hull sections which have to be carved off as they will interfere with the fit of the deck. Scuppers in this area are well done and pierced thru and line up well with the deck level. Hull plating is present and is represented by engraved lines. A simple, single pedestal stand is also included. Decals are provided with an RN Ensign, ship number (K186) and ship's name. The instruction sheet is easy to follow, with a total of 30 steps for such a small model (just under 7 inches). There's a second step 27 (!) which illustrates the rigging diagram. A separate glossy sheet has the ships history, and technical data in English and Polish on one side, and a slightly larger than actual size, full color painting reference on the other. The only camo pattern is in Mountbatten Pink, and blue. No photo-etch is included, although WEM has announced a set for this model. I can't comment on the accuracy or inaccuracies of the model. On first inspection the model looks a bit crude and very last-generation, but with some extra work, PE, and AM replacement weapons, will result in a satisfactory model.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 06:13 AM UTC
As a point of interest, I was just talking to Dave (or John) at WEM's US site, and was informed that their PE set will be available in about another 1 1/2 - 2 months. Among the usual bits a new and corrected bridge will be included. So I'll have to put my Corvettes on hold for a while.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 04:44 PM UTC
Think I will stay with my 1/72 Matchbox project, oft delayed but it will be nice and accurate with all the GLS bits and bobs I have for it.
Thanks for forewarning me mate!
Cheers
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 08:28 PM UTC
I have the kit too, and I will agree it is not state of the art, but on the sprue it looks a solid effort. Yes the depth charges are plain, but at least they are seperate, and sone etched ends they will look good.I have the WeM set on pre order and will reserve final judgemet until I have put the two together.

No it is not up a High Tech Dragon style kit, but it is not at Dragon prices.

It is what looks like a very buildable flower in plastic in 1/350. It will need a bit of work, but then we are modellers.

I for one welcome it, and watch this website for my build when the etch comes out

Si
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC
I agree. For the price (around $20) it's an OK kit OOB. You can't get many other kits for that price anymore. I guess I've been spoiled by Dragon's kits. I built a couple of sub-assemblies and the fit, in general, is good, but there is a problem between the bulwark and forward edge of the lower deck which can be quickly fixed with a small piece of plastic strip. And now the rest of the kit is on hold until my WEM sets arrive.
 _GOTOTOP