_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
P.E. documentation incomplete
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
PONTOS detail kit for 1/350 New Jersey seems woefully incomplete. Have you folks dealt with this before? I've started some of the railing and there are lots of railing runs that are pictured in the documentation but not numbered. I have been over it as carefully as can be but they are simply not identified. I suppose I could do what is identified and then try to match up what's left but who knows what that will look like and I find it annoying when I can't proceed the way I want to.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC
Sorry, can't help you out here John, this is a case of gritting your teeth and pushing on. You mentioned a solution that you thought up. Doesn't sound crazy to me.
Cheers,
Julian
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
Thanks Julian. Not too big of a deal, just irritating. I am enjoying putting the railings on. I've only broken one bit and I repaired it pretty easily.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:58 AM UTC
although i dont know what is the Pontos kit consists of, i know that i have had PE sets that dont list everything. I have a flyhawk kit that doesnt list everything, so i had to kinda figure things out on my own for a few things.

One of them that is not listed on mine happens to be railings, so i am in the same boat. On a side note to that, as long as you match up what the directions say, you should be fine anyway. I have heard that it is best to do railings in smaller sections anyway because of shrinkage/expansion will cause railings to release. So, if you do the unmarked parts, just do small runs and make it work. it is really what i plan on doing with mine as well.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 02:45 PM UTC
E-mail Kim; he's pretty responsive and updates his instructions based on customer feedback.
http://pontosmodel.com
[email protected]
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 04:03 PM UTC
What makes you think it is woefully incomplete? COmpared to what? If you are having trouble with the instructions try blowing them up on your computer screen and printing them out. I agree they are too small. If you have undocumented custom railing try looking at the Eduard Instructions or similar as they are all shown there.
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
Thanks Warren. I regularly refer to the online pdf(s), they are most useful. If you or anyone else has the time and inclination you could look and see if I'm just having a brainfart. The URL is http://pontosmodel.com/html/35008f1.html
the first couple that come to mind are the railings around the harpoon deck, and that oddly shaped triangular deck jutting out from the aft tomahawk missile deck. They are shown on page 3 third and fourth images in the column labeled "Ladders Etc" (the 286 refers to the ladders).

Anyway, Cheers shipmates.

John
 _GOTOTOP