_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
2013 Brisbane PX
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi everyone.

Well today was the Brisbane Scale Model PX held in a new location this year which was a vast improvement over the old school hall.

First table I came upon had these two on it..

They were priced at just $60 for each one. I asked the lovely vendor person how much for both. When he said $80 I couldn't get the money out quick enough! They retail for about $130 each here.

A few tables further on I found a friend who had bought some of my models on Ebay and he had this one under one of his packed tables...

After the pleasantries and a bit of stirring I got it for under $100 which to me is a huge bargain when they are on Ebay for over twice that. It also came with two extra plane sets.

Then after a few more minutes I came across a table with this on it...

After having finished the Kongo recently and knowing how good Aoshima ships are I got it for the $80 mark. It felt a bit heavy to me and when I opened it up I found three more detail sets inside. I almost got the Lion Roar Takao set with it as well but I opened the box to make sure it was all there and the vendor spotted it and removed it. Oh well I went back later and got it for $40..

So all in all a successful day for myself. The sausage rolls they had for sale smelled awesome as well but I didn't risk one in my current condition. Even my Wife, bless her, thought I had done well! Win win all around!
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 07:42 PM UTC
A very nice haul Warren,
some really nice models for super prices,
cheers,
julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hey there Mr Sallows.
I just finished your Bismarck review for you.
I already have the Ticonderoga and Yorktown, but I love the US Fleet Carriers and I can do a different scheme for each one so they won't all look the same. Fundly enough the Franklin's box art shows an overall Navy Blue scheme which is not mentioned in the kit's colour scheme. I already have a destroyer and CA-38 in that scheme and I thought it would be nice to add a carrier as well.
Just have to start collecting PE for them so when they float to the surface of the stash I can start them immediately. But then again I might just wait a while..
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 08:38 PM UTC
No problems with the word docx this time Warren?
The Enterprise is a steal, there is one sitting in my local hobby shop eyeing me all the time. 175 Euros though, which is rather steep for what is basically an old mold.
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 08:45 PM UTC
The problem was that for some reason Protected view had been turned on and was rejecting everything. I turned the damn thing off and all is well.
I have the el cheapo Trumpeter early beehive version in the stash and I will be using the Tamiya instructions when I build her as they are far more detailed. Will be interesting to see how easily the el cheapo one goes together and if it is worth the $38 they asked me for it. I will report back at a later date.
I had a bread roll today with some butter on it and was rewarded with some sharp pains in the abdomen.. sigh, I love butter.. Maybe the gallbladder will calm down after the ulcer is fixed..
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 08:54 PM UTC
Even more worth the pain if its salted butter on a croissant, nearly kills me but I love it for breakfast
Thanks for posting the latest review,
cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 09:25 PM UTC
Isn't it amazing how we will put up with pain to eat something we enjoy. We are true food lovers.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 11:42 PM UTC
Wow Warren! That's the kind of shopping I like! Looking forward to watching your builds of those magnificent kits!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Warren! That's the kind of shopping I like! Looking forward to watching your builds of those magnificent kits!

I have quite a bit of PE to purchase before I start any of them.
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 03:41 PM UTC
Warren Congratulations!! you are a lucky man!!!!!...

Regards Daniel !!!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 06:02 PM UTC
I think you are right Daniel.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 - 02:12 PM UTC
A man after our own hearts indeed, well done sailor!!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 - 04:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A man after our own hearts indeed, well done sailor!!

Many thanks Jeremy.

I have already decided that the Hancock will be painted in Measure 22 and the Franklin in Measure 21. I also have the Yorktown 1944 in the stash and it will be being painted MS 33 3a.
Cheers all
Warren
 _GOTOTOP