_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Help identifying part on Trumpy HMS Zulu
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone can help me identify a part in the Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Zulu, although I suppose the same part is found in all their Tribal's.
The part in question is E17, an usused part and there are six of them in the kit.

Obviously, its some sort of twin mounted AA gun. But what is it? A 2-pounder, Vickers 50cal or something else entirely? They look nothing like any AA guns I've been able to find pictures of. Its just bugging me!
Any help is appreciated
Stephen
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They look nothing like any AA guns I've been able to find pictures of.

Trumpeter is guilty of that quite often, and not only with weapons! It's too bad Trumpeter pays a lot more attention to their military vehicle models than to ships.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
I wondered the same thing after reading a review of the 1/350 HMS Eskimo last night, and apparently its full of errors. The most obvious being the inclusion of an 8-barrel Pom-Pom when they only had the quad mount fitted. Now that's one thing they got right on the 1/700, so how come they got so careless on the big one? On the plus side it is cheap compared with Dragons destroyers.
After a little more digging earlier today the closest I can get to these mystery guns to is the single 2-pounder, but it will need a the lower cut off. Although WW1 vintage a lot of these were taken out and fitted to give ships a little more teeth in the first couple of years of WW11. I should be able to use them on something after modding.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
It's too bad. Trumpeter is so prolific in their ship releases, but they usually range from so-so to really bad, and always require tons of AM corrections and replacements. Dragon, on the other hand, releases only 1 or 2 new ship models a year, but they're really good.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 04:19 AM UTC
Stephen, I think you'll find they are the twin Vickers .50cal MG's not 2 pounders.

Here's the quad version
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's too bad. Trumpeter is so prolific in their ship releases, but they usually range from so-so to really bad, and always require tons of AM corrections and replacements. Dragon, on the other hand, releases only 1 or 2 new ship models a year, but they're really good.

Whenever I see Dragon kits, I generally look at the kit, then the price, suffer a mild heart-attack and then put it back on the shop shelf. Nice kits but out of my budget at the present. In the case of kits that are so badly done they need aftermarket extras I can see that they are more cost productive to the modeler. As well as the convenience of getting it all in the one box. Its just too bad they don't do any WWII Royal Navy subjects or I'd get one if I could sneak it past she-who-must-be-obeyed. I wouldn't mind having a crack at the Gearing class one day.
It all depends on what we're personally happy with in the kit. In the case of the Eskimo I'd replace the pom-pom as its the most obvious mistake, but anything else I could live with (I'm an OOB builder now, endless research and quests for 100% accuracy just slow down my builds). I don't know the class well enough to comment on the rest and its obvious that most of the reviewers do. Its academic anyway as I've got plenty of junk to be getting on with
Anyway, back to this.
Yeah the mounting does look a lot more like the Vickers 50 Luciano. Cheers for that. But where they available in a twin mount?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, back to this.
Yeah the mounting does look a lot more like the Vickers 50 Luciano. Cheers for that. But where they available in a twin mount?

Stephen the Mk3 deck mount was available in twin and quad versions, it was basically an enlarged Vickers Maxim firing a powerful .50 cal, although by WWII it was not enough against the aircraft of the time.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So you have researched and built every Trumpeter ship model?
Dragon may have fine moulding etc but they are over-engineered with much too small mating parts on many items to allow strong enough joints.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Anyway, back to this.

Stephen the Mk3 deck mount was available in twin and quad versions, it was basically an enlarged Vickers Maxim firing a powerful .50 cal, although by WWII it was not enough against the aircraft of the time.

I'm inclined to agree. Its the only thing they can be looking at them. Would it just have been a simple matter of not fitting a full battery of 4 to the mount or removing them in service? Thanks for getting me closer to the answer!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC
To Warren: no, I have not bought or built every single Trumpeter ship model. I have, however, got and/or built: Graf Spee, Prinz Eugen, Hipper, England, a Z-class destroyer, a few S-boats, and Sullivans, and a modeling buddy is building the Essex. They've all had errors, poor fit in places, and required AM weapons, equipment, etc., although I do applaud the fact that Trumpeter does include PE generic railing, stairs, radar (sometimes). If Trumpeter issues are OK with you, then good for you. If I have a choice between a Dragon ship and Trumpeter, I'll certainly choose the Dragon, in spite of 'over engineering'.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Lets try to keep things civil gents.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 04:41 AM UTC
Ever hear of a 'civil war'?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 02:44 PM UTC
I believe the title of this thread was:

"Help identifying part on Trumpy HMS Zulu"

and not your opinion on

Trumpeter vs Dragon

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi Joe!
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 05:49 AM UTC
I think we're all a little guilty of getting into that debate.
 _GOTOTOP