_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
17th Century Ships carrying immigrants to US
jaybeckham
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 10:48 AM UTC
I am trying to find the type(s) of ship(s) that would of been used to carry immigrants to America from England. A ship that would of sailed around 1630s. Also a ship that plans are currently available for. In other words I want to build a model of a typical ship that my relatives would of immigrated on in 1639.

To my knowledge the American records from Orange County, VA were burned in Richmond, VA during the civil war. I believe there are records in England but I have no idea where to look or who to contact. So any ship of the era and for the purpose of carrying passengers would work.

Thanks

Jay Beckham
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 04:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am trying to find the type(s) of ship(s) that would of been used to carry immigrants to America from England. A ship that would of sailed around 1630s. Also a ship that plans are currently available for. In other words I want to build a model of a typical ship that my relatives would of immigrated on in 1639.

To my knowledge the American records from Orange County, VA were burned in Richmond, VA during the civil war. I believe there are records in England but I have no idea where to look or who to contact. So any ship of the era and for the purpose of carrying passengers would work.

Thanks

Jay Beckham

Well there is the Mayflower, after all she sailed to MA in 1620, and in Virginia you probably wouldn't be too far off with the Susan B Constant.
jaybeckham
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
From what I could find on the Susan B Constant there is no records beyond 1620 or so. Also my William Beckham was indentured which was typical if you couldn't afford the journey, and most likely landed on the James River as the family has it roots in Orange County, VA. Would not of gone to Jamestown. So I guess a ship a little later would be closer. e.g 1630 or so. Sorry but I am not an expert on sailing ships but very knowledgeable about cruise ships.
Thanks
s4usea
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
Have you tried the Mariner's Museum in Newport News?

They have one of the best, if not the best nautical research libraries in the country. Having done research there myself when I was in college on a very obscure subject I can attest to their extensive collection...

http://marinersmuseum.org/

There is also the Smithsonian, as I was able to acquire a set of plans from them for a build...
 _GOTOTOP