_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
Japanese "futon" matting
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 06:14 PM UTC
Sorry if this question has been posted before. I have seen a number of pictures (historic and "Hollywood") that have shown Japanese warships with their bridges covered with what looks to be cotton batting. One picture comment even referred to the items as "futon" mattresses. Given the experience of the Japanese Navy in naval combat, what reason was there to place combustible material like that on combat ships? I've read a number of books citing the US Navy's efforts to scrape away paint and any combustible material on ships heading in harm's way. Why would the Japanese Navy seem to welcome fire? Was this practice early in the war, and discontinued? Was there some benefit that outweighed the danger? I have a few Japanese ships in the stash that I haven't started yet, and while this question is not the reason for my delay in construction, I've always wondered what I'm not understanding about the practice.

Cheers,
Mike
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 06:28 AM UTC
As far as I understand this subject, the bedding was used as protection against splinters and schrapnel, much like the British flak mats used on many vessels. The fire problem was probably considered a lesser priority.
Cheers,
Julian
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 04:29 PM UTC
Thanks very much, Julian. You must be right. Seems like a heck of a trade off though.

Cheers,
Mike
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 05:25 PM UTC
A bit like the old kapok life jackets that worked fine unless they came into contact with oil. Then they would soak up the oil and become to heavy to float. Bad luck if you were on a tanker in a convoy. Kapok went out of use in lifejackets after WW II.
cheers,
Julian
 _GOTOTOP