_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Guard rails and rigging
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hi All,
I've just today added Trumpeter's 1/350 Admiral Hipper and Graf Spee to my 'future build list' (stash) and have some questions I'm hoping you all-knowing modelers (smartarses), might have the answers to. They pertain to both kits:
1. Is there enough railing provided for deck and superstructure edges.
2.Are there any positioning/locating aids, or is it just 'start at a gap (ladder top?) and work your way around' bending as needed. (I suppose the PE's attachment points could be cut as near as possible to the framework, then corresponding a small hole (or into the joint between hull and deck part) drilled at each position along the deck edge)

And, I'm going to try rigging these two beauties (haven't been too happy with previous attempts at rigging) using 0.002 diameter 'Caenis' thread (or similar). The kit instructions don't mention rigging at all, can someone point me to a decent diagram for rigging these two?

Thanks to all for any help

Tom
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi Tom,
If the Trumpie railings are the usual chewing gum like metal this "Smartass" would consider an after market set from WEM or Eduard. Just my 2 cents......................
Julian
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
Julian,
These are my first Trumpie ships so I know nothing of chewing gum metal.
I was hoping not to have to go the AM route (mainly because my experience of PE is VERY limited and I don't want to spend money on an extensive set and then just use a couple of bits).
Still, there's no rush yet.
Any ideas about securing the metal to the model?
I knew the Smartars...very knowledgeable people would know something I didn't (which, thinking about it, isn't hard)

Tom
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 07:46 AM UTC
Fair enough, several Trumpeter models I have bought have very "soft" PE. I prefer a slightly harder PE which holds the fold better. If this is your first experience with PE try buying a cheap model ship and doing some experimentation first. Securing PE to model? two options IMHO: Superglue or Gator grip acrylic.
Plenty of documention here on both sorts if you do search.
PE can be rather intimidating, well, I found it to be intimidating. Practice, practice etc.
cheers,
Julian
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 08:12 AM UTC
Thanks Julian,
Most of my PE experience is with 1/35 armour with large(ish) mating areas. I'm just a bit skeptical of relying on several very very small contact areas to keep a length of guardrail upright and secure just relying on a 'butt' (one dimensional if you get me) joint that relies on a tiny blob of CA to keep everything sweet.
Tom
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 02:02 PM UTC
Here's a big hint that will help you heaps, invest in Eduard railing sets for them. They have bend points etc and the stanchions are the right distance for correct bendingness...
Good luck mate.
 _GOTOTOP