_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
Bismarck crew awards
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
I'm in the process of adding a little final touches to my 1/350th Bismarck and needed to know more about the awards the crew received.
I have been looking on line at what the Kriegsmarine would award to their crews and all I have found was the Kriegsmarine Fleet Service Badge.
Is this the badge that all battleship crews receive when on a battleship?
Also,the same crews,did they also have the right to earn the 1939 Iron Cross-as well as the IC 2nd class?
Thank you
KMMike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 05:36 PM UTC
Jody,
Certainly the Flottenkriegsabzeichen or High Seas Fleet war badge would be earned by the crews. Also remember that some crewmen transferred from other ships so one can see badges from destroyers or mine sweeper badges. It would be unusual to be transferred from u-boats, aux. cruisers or blockade breakers to a capitol ship.

The crew could also be eligible for Iron Crosses first and second class, the German Cross in Gold (most likely more senior NCO or officer ranks) or even the Knights Cross if you consider the commanding officers.

Some KM also had earned Spanish War Crosses, wound badges, sports badges and Narvik Shields.

And don't forget that before the Luftwaffe took over the KM air arm some naval personnel had earned Luftwaffe Pilot's Badges, Observer Badges and also recon bars and these men would be aboard ships that carried aircraft. Not unheard of to have a Luftwaffe pilot in the front seat and a navy person in the observer seat of an Ar-196.
Mike
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 03:53 PM UTC
kmmike,
wow thanks for the information. If I need anything else I will just call on you.
 _GOTOTOP