_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea kit advice
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 03:48 PM UTC
I was in the local hobby shop and saw a kit of the Nautlist from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. The kit has PE included and sells for $69. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this kit? The box is heavy so I am thinking resin parts. After looking at the box I could see where the USS Hunley(civil war} might have influenced Jules Vern's design. The kit has the giant squid holding it for a stand.

Thanks.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 01:09 AM UTC
No resin parts, some PE. Can't vouch for fit, kit looks good, about 18" overall. Partial interior in lounge area. VoodooFX makes a lighting kit for it and there is some additional PE available from Paragrafix, to dress up the interior. Check out CultTVman's website. Al
Selvatico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was in the local hobby shop and saw a kit of the Nautlist from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. The kit has PE included and sells for $69. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this kit? The box is heavy so I am thinking resin parts. After looking at the box I could see where the USS Hunley(civil war} might have influenced Jules Vern's design. The kit has the giant squid holding it for a stand.

Thanks.

The Pegasus 1/144 kit, right?

I got it (and the extra PE) for the stash and I think it looks like a great kit!

Trumpeter actually did the tooling for it; if you have built any trumpy models before you will know what to expect.

As for "authenticity", like the Disney version it really doesn't look anything like Jules Verne's description of the Nautilus or period illustrations but it is a really cool and original steampunk design.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 05:35 AM UTC
Here is a build log on the Pegusus kit by Swanney

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/154383.aspx
shuber57
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC
The box is heavy because the base, a giant squid, is made of vinel as used by figure models in some cases. The molding on the submarine looks like trumpeter quality(note above that stated trumpeter did the tooling) the molding for the base is really nice. First impression is that it will build up really well. I am building it for my son who loves 20,000 leagues under the sea.
 _GOTOTOP