_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Essex Questions
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

While I kill time here in Afghanistan, I figured I could research my next ship kit. I am planning to build Trumpeter's 1/350 USS Essex and had some questions regarding her appearance.

1. Does anyone have any reference or can point me in a direction that shows the Essex in a Dazzle pattern?

My wife pointed out that the shelf I can put this carrier on also holds my USS Laffey and that the little destroyer would disappear amongst all that blue paint.

2. When the doors on the hanger deck were opened, were rails installed to prevent someone from going overboard?

3. Do any of the aftermarket PE sets have all of the structures that would be in the ceiling of the hanger deck?

Thanks for the info, plan to blog the build when I get home.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 12:46 AM UTC
Chandler,

OK, here's what I've got:

1. USS Essex wore Measure 32 6-10d. Naval Historical Center has not posted the design sheet for this, but here's someone's scan from a set of instructions:

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/gatorsmask/media/MS36-6-10d.jpg.html

2. I've seen photos with temporary rails installed (2-bar rail), and photos without them installed. Modeler's choice.

3. No one's made them yet.

Jon

Quoted Text

Hey Guys,

While I kill time here in Afghanistan, I figured I could research my next ship kit. I am planning to build Trumpeter's 1/350 USS Essex and had some questions regarding her appearance.

1. Does anyone have any reference or can point me in a direction that shows the Essex in a Dazzle pattern?

My wife pointed out that the shelf I can put this carrier on also holds my USS Laffey and that the little destroyer would disappear amongst all that blue paint.

2. When the doors on the hanger deck were opened, were rails installed to prevent someone from going overboard?

3. Do any of the aftermarket PE sets have all of the structures that would be in the ceiling of the hanger deck?

Thanks for the info, plan to blog the build when I get home.

Removed by original poster on 08/26/13 - 20:39:19 (GMT).
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 04:44 PM UTC
TSgt Cody,
Firstly, thanks for your service, be safe over there. Now as to the Essex, be aware that the Trumpeter kit, although quite good, has some small errors especially in the configuration of the equipment arrangements on the starboard aft quarter below the flight deck overhang. It's been a while since I built the kit, but there are also a few areas needing improvement such as the port aft ventilation screens, and deck drain off trunking which are prominent, but missing in the kit. My Father was an Essex plank holder, coming aboard before commissioning in November 1942, and departing in April 1944 in San Francisco before her refit. He gave me lots of info on the arrangements, and there are several books out there too. To answer your question, the hanger deck openings would all be fitted with chain stanchions when open,I used Aber 2 chain railings which have the texture and look of real chain. I used the Tom's Model Works set and the Gold Medal Models set for the details, both are very good, but there is not much overhead detail for the Hanger deck. I think White Ensign also has a set, but I don't know if it has an overhead. As for the Measure 32 camouflage scheme, this would have been applied after the refit in San Francisco in April 1944. The real expert in the Essex class is Tracy White who lives in Seattle. He's a frequent contributor to Model Shipwrights.
Very Respectfully, Russ Bucy
Shanghaied
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 106 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hi Chandler

Have a look here:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/09.htm

There are a lot of pics, also of a camouflaged model.

Greetings from Shanghai
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 04:34 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info, looks like this is going to be a fun project and will be a blast to do!

I want to try and see about getting some micro LEDs and lighting up my hanger deck, so we will see how that goes.
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
Squadron has a sale on and I just received Steve Backer's excellent book on modeling the Essex Class carriers. Lots of information on PE sets and many color photos of some outstanding models. He also has the dazzle schemes for several of the ships in color.
Charlie
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC
One thing to be aware of (and this will give you something else to do) is that there are lots of "little" differences between ships. For example, at the time she was in Dazzle, Essex did not have the Mk 51 director elevated tub immediately behind the second twin 5" that the other ships did. Instead, she had a Mk 49 director on top of the pilot house. Her captain wrote a memo about their use that might be helpful. Unfortunately, at this time, there are no aftermarket Mk 49s; it's a less known unit.

Home sick today, hoped to write more, but I need a nap now.... will try again later.
 _GOTOTOP