_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
REVIEW
US Naval 4 inch/50 cal Gun
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 12:28 PM UTC
Alan McNeilly takes a look at the CMK 1/35 scale US Naval 102mm Gun.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thanks Alan. This will make an excellent scene. Good detail and a low parts count - I like that! I hope more of these auxiliary weapons are produced. They expand the horizon for diorama subjects. There are so many neat subjects that can be created to high quality now. H/R Products made many exotic weapons including a 1/32 U.S. Navy 3"/50 Mk 22 Mount (Single Open); I built their 1/32 towed 40mm Bofors, USN 20mm Oerlikon and .50-caliber M1921 water-cooled machine gun back in the '70s. They were cast lead or white metal and pretty good models. I still have them.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Fredrick,

Thanks. Only grumble was no response from CMK when I emailed them about a replacement part for the shield support I lost along the way. I used a piece of scrap PE filed to fit. Don't you just hate gremlins! Part was there one minute and gone the next .

Apart form the 4 used in Western Australia I'm still looking for a land based UK deployment. There were thousands of defence sites constructed across the UK from 1939 onwards and there is indication the MK 9 was deployed in coastal defence having been acquired through Lend Lease but I haven't found a specific site/location yet.

If I don't find a location I could simply take the shield off and go Aussie but I thought the Bronco Bofors Crew would be very adaptable for shore based crew.. Doing the research into UK Coastal Defence has been a very interesting, just need to find a location for the gun .

As you say there are lots of possibilities for dioramas either part ship or land based.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 01:05 AM UTC
This is the Aussie gun at Beacon Battery WA in 1943

Al
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC
Excellent review, Alan! Such a subject would also have some applications in shipboard dioramas, especially shadow boxes...

--Karl
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Thanks Karl.

Al
 _GOTOTOP