_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Intrepid circa Oct 1944 in 1/350
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hope you can help with my question, I want to build the Intrepid CV-11 as it looked in October 1944 when the air group sank the Musashi. I have Steve Backer's excellent book on modeling the Essex class carriers and have bought the 1/350 Trumpeter Essex class model thinking It would be a good stand-in for the Interpid. Am now wondering if I should have bought the 1/350 Yorktown 1944 instead?

Can you point me in the right direction as to what model would the right for October 1944? Jean Barby, in the book, mentions using a base kit from Trumpeter for his Intrepid model but does say which one nor the date he picked for the model. I have a couple of items wore by a Navy pilot that helped sink the Musashi and I want to portray the model around the time he flew his Helldiver off it.

Appreciate any help,
Charlie Duckworth
apalella
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 12:42 PM UTC
Charlie,
I know the Trumpeter USS Yorktown is a good starting point and the Pontos USS Yorktown update set will push you in the right direction, it has the correct hull numbers for Intrepid and even the two AA gun tubs on the stern in resin and PE among other things. See this thread on ModelWarships:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=97425

Hope this helps!
Happy modeling,
Andrew
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thanks, I appreciate the quick response.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC
For October 1944 you'll need a single quad on the stern - Intrepid didn't receive the second Quad until early 1945.
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 02:09 AM UTC
Tracy
How close is the 1944 Yorktown to the Intrepid. This is the first ship model I've decided to tackle in 40 years and reading the reviews on the 1/350 Essex I ordered it before I knew about the Yorktown model.

Charlie
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 03:38 PM UTC
None of the kits are going to be an exact match. The Navy designed and approved specific changes over time, and a ship got them when she came in for overhaul. Therefore, each one could be a little different than others. The Yorktown and Franklin kits are mostly correct for ships in overhaul from late 1944. The CV-9 Essex kit is an early-war fit. So, if you're doing a Oct 1944 Intrepid, you're in between. If you can commit to the Pontos set, it comes with parts to do the single stern Quad and the Yorktown or Franklin kits will suit you much better as it will have the extra AA that had been added to Intrepid by that time.

You can get there from the Essex kit, it's just more scratch building work.
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 12:36 AM UTC
Tracy
Thanks, I have the Intrepid book coming so I'll go the scratch building route since you mentioned the 1944 version is in between the original Intrepid (Essex kit) and the 1944 Yorktown.

Thanks for the replies
Charlie
MS406C
Visit this Community
Landes, France
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope you can help with my question, I want to build the Intrepid CV-11 as it looked in October 1944 when the air group sank the Musashi. I have Steve Backer's excellent book on modeling the Essex class carriers and have bought the 1/350 Trumpeter Essex class model thinking It would be a good stand-in for the Interpid. Am now wondering if I should have bought the 1/350 Yorktown 1944 instead?

Can you point me in the right direction as to what model would the right for October 1944? Jean Barby, in the book, mentions using a base kit from Trumpeter for his Intrepid model but does say which one nor the date he picked for the model. I have a couple of items wore by a Navy pilot that helped sink the Musashi and I want to portray the model around the time he flew his Helldiver off it.

Appreciate any help,
Charlie Duckworth

Hello Charlie, I did my Intrepid from the Franklin box from Trumpy, and as for the period , I did my planes in the Mid 44 markings. hope I have helped, Jean Barby.
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
Was the Franklin model the closest to the Intrepid of all the 1/350 kits or did you just have one already and decided to convert it to the Intrepid?
MS406C
Visit this Community
Landes, France
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 10:43 PM UTC
If you say hello first it will be cooler!
Franklin was the model I had. Good luck with your build.
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 04:42 AM UTC
Jean
hello!
Here's my problem, I bought the USS Essex after reading that it was in the same class as the Intrepid. While I should have done more research before diving in I am trying to build the Intrepid in October 1944 to be displayed with an officer's car and shoulder boards who flew a Helldiver and earned the Navy Cross during the battle. If the early model of the Essex can be converted then I'll go that route but if the Franklin is closer then I still have time to return the Essex model and buy the Franklin. I am a notice at doing ships as I normally built WW1 aircraft and have a model railroad in the basement. Many of the structures on the model RR are scratch built so I am not afraid of tackling that part of the hobby. I have photos of your outstanding Intrepid in Steve Bakers book.

Appreciate your input on if the 1943 Essex will work or if I should buy the Franklin.

Charlie
MS406C
Visit this Community
Landes, France
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi my friend! As you will discover along the way, you have to gather informations and documentation as to build a precise model at the period concerned. Sounds good? It is a booby trap as I spent hours to be sure of the armament, masts and radars configuration for the period I had choose to represent the ship. The CV9 Essex was the first Essex class to reach the Pacific in 43 and she is not the best ship for your purpose. The Franklin is very much OK so give yourself a chance as she is the closest to your project. Be ready for blood sweat and tears, and receive my best regards from France.
cduckworth
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 08:16 AM UTC
Jean
Much thanks for your input on this (future) project; I'll 'ship' (no pun intended...) the Essex back tomorrow to the party I bought it from and look for a Franklin model. The research for me is the fun part of this hobby.

Charlie
 _GOTOTOP