_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
CV 8: Of Hornets and ruptured ducks
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
Never drop by your local model shop on a free and sunny afternoon. She was propped against a stack of models and having seen her I couldn't take my eyes off her and I couldn't resist her obvious invitation to take her home and have my way with her. I broke all speed records getting back home with her sitting proudly on the back seat of my Volvo. After getting her safely inside I proceeded to investigate all of her charms:

Well, what else did you all think I was talking about? I have the 1/200 CV 8 USS Hornet and I have fallen madly in love already. The box and evrything in it is huge, the parts are crisp and sharp and there is some unbelievably delicate moulding included. The 16 Mitchells are magnificently detailed and they should fill the flightdeck up in a very impressive fashion.

There are already packs of rivet counters running around stabbing this offering because the underwater hull is incorrect, the shape back from the bow should be slimmer and faster. I am still gathering reference material but having taken a quick look at the one piece mould It looks reasonably similar to me, ( that should put the cat among the pidgeons )

The hull is shorter and less wide than the "Big B":

The flightdeck is a two piece semitransparent mould that will allow you to glance in at a nicely detailed hanger deck:

For those that grew up watching old black and white war movies and especially those that remember "30 seconds over Tokyo" there is an added bonus included: the nose art for the "Ruptured Duck" and the other Doolittle Raiders is included.

This isn't a review, its just a quick preview of a very nice non-vapourware model, paid for by myself. I'll see if if I can get around to a review in the near future,
cheers,
Julian
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
VERY impressive looking,thanks for posting !!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 03:27 AM UTC
I'm wondering what Mrs.Gremlin had to say about the curvy stranger you've brought home? Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC
It was a very interesting conversation Al, and I have always wanted to have my own sleeping space in the garage No, Mrs. Gremlin56 understood my lust and passion for this beautiful lady
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
You are a very weak man....

Well done, this is the way to fall off the edge!

Enjoy and share it with us

Cheers Kev

DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 04:34 AM UTC
Ohhhh!!! My god!!! You dont have pardon!!! Jjajajaja you deceive myself!! ... nooooo Daniel. is very big, my lady kills me, I stop to happen ..... bla bla bla....

Incredible the power of the plastic!!! It does not make take risky decisions. We can compromise our physical integrity and die opposite to the broom of our witches!!! Jajajjaja....
Let's feast for it

I am glad for you my friend!!! I will enjoy much your happiness build this beauty. This you as dog with two tails!!!!

Best regards Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 04:42 AM UTC
I know, I am a weak nasty person. I was only in the shop for about 3 minutes. I am soooooooooooooooooooooo ashamed, not
For the time being it goes in my stash until I can choose which PE is the best, (learnt my lesson with the Big B).
I willl do a review on this model, the rivet counters are not doing this offering justice
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know, I am a weak nasty person. I was only in the shop for about 3 minutes. I am soooooooooooooooooooooo ashamed, not
For the time being it goes in my stash until I can choose which PE is the best, (learnt my lesson with the Big B).
I willl do a review on this model, the rivet counters are not doing this offering justice

You are an evil person .. I had resisted the temptation up until now but I fear viewing the kit is all its glory will have pushed me over the edge.. And it keeps my 1/200 Trumpeter set up to date.
Lets see them whinge and moan about the hull of this one.

Glad you learned your PE lesson Mr Sallow (aka Dr Evil). I will be waiting to buy mine after the PE sets are released and the price has gone down a bit.. (If I can resist that long)..

How much PE is included?

Cheers (I think)
Warren

Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi Warren, forgot to count the PE sheets. I'll takes some pics this weekend.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 04:26 PM UTC
Nice one Julian, I have felt tempted too, but with my current rate on building I have managed to resist. I will follow your build with interest!

Cheers/Jan
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Model Shipwrights: 84 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 03:44 AM UTC
Awsome looking kit. What do the aircraft look like?
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Julian, I have felt tempted too, but with my current rate on building I have managed to resist. I will follow your build with interest!

Cheers/Jan

I won't try and talk you into giving in to the urge Jan, it is really good though
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC
I“ll get some photos up ths weekend, only had a quick peek yesterday Darrell,
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
OK, where are the add'l photos?
Regards
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
Patience Grasshopper A whole review has been sent to MSW.
Photos of all aircraft included. You are evidently one of the internet generation
cheers,
Julian
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC
wouldn't call myself of the "internet generation>, I'm older than you. Just impatient some times. Great review, by-the-way!
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 02:12 AM UTC
Okay, sorry for that mate Glad you approve of the review,
cheers,
Julian
 _GOTOTOP