_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
REVIEW
1/200 USS Hornet
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 04:20 PM UTC
Julian Sallows walks us through the much anticipated 1/200 USS Hornet!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
NickSheridan
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the review - any recommendations re references?
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi Nick, Warship Pictorials no.9: Yorktown Class Carriers to start off with. Try googling online, there are an amazing amount of photos available. Also check out Squadron/Signal's US Aircraft Carriers in action part 1. Clear the deck is also a nice reference to deck operations.
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 03:07 PM UTC
enjoy my friend !!!!!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hi Julian, thanks for the review. Can you post some more pics of the hull? I realize you aren't personally hung up on exact accuracy, but the more compulsive among us would sure appreciate some more info about that hull. Thanks!
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 07:10 PM UTC
Hi Tim, I'll see what I can do this weekend. I take it the shape of the bow is the big issue
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 12:14 AM UTC
Ok Tim, you asked for it, your going to get it A veritable overkill of hull shots of the USS Hornet:

I think the big issue concerning this model was the upscaling of an incorrect hull shape giving the Hornet a bathtub like appearence. As you can see from the photos there is nothing bathtubbish about Merit's offering. The bow is very sleek, (I personally think that with a bulb it would probably closely resemble the bows of the first container vessels built in the 70's), and the hull only starts to widen out abeam of the forward openings of the hangar bay.
Of course this is just my 2 cents worth and I still haven't been able to find a line or frame drawing of the Hornet to be able to verify the shape, (haven't really got around to that being busy with other builds at the moment). Hope this gives a better idea of what went on under water
cheers
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC
Julian,
Thanks for posting the additional hull pictures! I'm no expert, and such things are difficult to tell from pics anyway, but it looks like they did improve the shape over the 1/350 version... but even if it isn't perfect, this sure looks to be one heck of a fun build. Good luck with her!
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Julian,
Thanks for posting the additional hull pictures! I'm no expert, and such things are difficult to tell from pics anyway, but it looks like they did improve the shape over the 1/350 version... but even if it isn't perfect, this sure looks to be one heck of a fun build. Good luck with her!

Thanks Tim, that's what it is really all about
GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 03:45 PM UTC

The hull on this kit has been improved but is still very far off. It depends on just how much the near $400 justifies for you getting some actual quality...

There is also the issue of the deck's length, the 200th kit being derived from the wrong 350th scale kit by Trumpeteer, and the space between the elevators being 32" instead of 32.75, which amounts to a shortfall of about 3.8 meters or around 12 feet, making the placement of 5 inch batteries problematic apparently:

pbudzik
Post subject: Re: Merit 1/200 USS Hornet--$379.99PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Another error that I discovered in the 1/350 kit that would be worth checking in the 1/200 kit: The flight deck in the 1/350 kit is over 12 scale feet short. Taken from the drawings, the actual flight deck should be 816' or 48.96" in 1/200, the distance between fore and aft elevators (dimension A) should be 32.75" in 1/200 scale.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149466&start=400

This dimension is critical because it determines the position of the 5" batteries. It would be a shame if it does not at least dimension out correctly, especially since this model takes up so much space.

I have a few additional photos on the last page of my build log.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=98433

Paul

For $379 one could hope for better these days: The only really good ships I have found in this interesting scale (of 1/200) are the 40 years old Nichimo WWII Japanese destroyer series (3 different and excellent kits in full styrene with metal prop shafts), and Nichimo's I-19 submarine. Excellent and unsurpassed in surface hull detail as well is the Revell "Constitution", a kit of the late 1950s if you can believe that!

I think the Trumpeteer Arizona is actually correctable and worthwhile, but with a lot of effort.

Gaston
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:42 PM UTC
HI Gaston,
the links provided are very interesting and and it seems that that even the "second" Merit hull is not sleek enough. For me it's not a big problem, for "men who stare at rivets" maybe it would indicate a "do not buy". I stand by my original remark though: "Just ask yourself how many 1/200 scale Yorktown class carrier models are there around and then ask yourself if you are going to pass on it because the bow isn’t exactly correct"
GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 10:11 AM UTC

At my build rate, I can afford to pass on a lot of things...

I can't be angry at Trumpeteer for doing something nobody has done since Nichimo in the 1970s, but it has to be duly noted that, RC-compromised Yamato excepted, Nichimo did a lot better 40 years ago than what Trumpeteer is doing today...: If you want 1/200 WWII ships, there is a better alternative...

Gaston

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hull shape and flight deck sizing issues aside, the one thing that puzzles me about the kit design is the clear flight deck with inscribed planking.

I can appreciate the urge to showcase a full hangar deck, but the scribing ruins the transparency of the flight decking above. Would it have been better to have an opaque deck and clear panels for those who want to show off the hangar?

--Karl
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 04:20 AM UTC
Yes, probably would have been a better solution but this is what we got. It might not be as bad as seems though Karl, I plan on painting a lot of parts of the deck leaving the transparent deck to provide light to the hangar deck around the side doors. I think I'll experiment with tape first though
Even stranger is the complete lack of arrester wires, that really bugs me.
Julian
jpchagnon
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
The notice is rather bad. you build a sub ensemble on a particular page without reference and several pages latter you must use it because it appear without reference and you recognize it if the form is sufficiently characteristic but it's not always true.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The notice is rather bad. you build a sub ensemble on a particular page without reference and several pages latter you must use it because it appear without reference and you recognize it if the form is sufficiently characteristic but it's not always true.

Sorry, really can't make out what you want to tell us.
jpchagnon
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
I just received the mighty box, admired the content and immediately began studying the notice with the above observation.
I am awaiting a doc to begin the construction :
A Seaforth Publishing book
ShipCraft 3: Yorktown Class Aircraft Carriers
Author: Chesneau, Roger
Rather hard to find and at an astronomical high price except at :
Bookseller: Warsash Nautical Bookshop BA
via AbeBooks.com
jpchagnon
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC
Sorry for my english. Some examples :
1- Step16 P20 you build M7 and you use it on the next page Step17 P21 on the left. Ok, it's easy because it's not far and the form is easier to recognize.
2- more difficult Step24 P28 you build W2/PE8(D) and use it Step27 P31
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Paul,
ok, I understand you have recieved your example of the USS Hornet in 1/200 scale as released by Merit. I am very satisfied with what I paid aprox 300 Euros for.
Yes I realise it is difficult to get hold of an example of the Yorktown class carriers book. I still don't understand what you refer to as my construction of certain points as my USS Hornet is still in virgin condition in my stash.
Can I help you in anyway?
jpchagnon
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC
No. I refer only at instruction when a sub assembly is not used immediately but several pages after and your only way of identification is to recognize its form.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC
Ok, clear. Besides the instructions, how do you like the model itself? Thats what most people here want to hear.
jpchagnon
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC
It's too early but my first impression is rather positive. A lot of pieces, the majority seems good and it will be possible to make an impressive model.
jpchagnon
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 08:51 AM UTC
Bookseller: Warsash Nautical Bookshop BA. Warsash is not far from Plymouth.
jpchagnon
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 08:56 AM UTC
Near Southampton on the Solent.
p6v8man
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi all,
I like to build anything that's USN, from ships to aircraft. I have just ordered the Merrit USS Hornet and after reading the review I must admit I'm doubtful. My main concern is that Trumpeter can be very hit or miss with their kits. My case being the HMS Hood 1/350. I was happily working away when I suddenly found that parts of the superstructure wouldn't fit. I am still working on her trying to put these problems right.
And now I'm reading about possible problems with the Hull.
When are Trumpeter going to learn that you can't keep charging TOP MONEY for what is essentially a flawed product.
It seems to me that they see a gap in the market and rush these kits out in order to fill it!
I just WISH that Tamiya (or other company) would produce an Essex Class Carrier in 1/200 with EVERYTHING correct.
But I guess I'm dreaming again.
And Julian... Your review was TOP NOTCH. Well done. Keep us all informed when you start your build.
 _GOTOTOP