_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A little assistance please
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC
I'm a reasonably accomplished modeller, but usually do land and air subjects. I have an urge to do a 700th battleship. Options are trumpy Queen Elizabeth or the HMS Orion by Combrig. Price is not an problem, and i would be getting the PE set for the QE if i go that way. What would you suggest for a first ship?

Andy
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Andy,
Are you sure you want to start off in 1/700 scale with ships?
The detailing in that scale is rather crude to say the least. If I was starting out with a warship with photo etch I would go for 1/350 at least, detailing in that scale is good. Probably not the correct answer to your question though, just my 2 cents.............
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Well Rui tells me it's the only scale!

I'm looking for a WW1 Vessel, so i'm open to ideas.
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 03:42 AM UTC
Kombrig all the way, the instructions are a little sparse but the detail is to be seen to be believed although you may need to add ratlines and replace the masts with brass if your rigging it.

Andy, if I'm likely to see you before you buy let me know and I'll bring along a couple of Kombrig WWI ships.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 03:51 AM UTC
Cheers Lucky. I may see you, but i've seen some of your small ships to know the quality. Pricing it up i think i can get the trumpy 350th Dreadnaught and etch and deck set for not a lot more than the combrig Orion, but it's a lot of model and time is tight for Telford next year at my speed.

And it's a lot more model to do badly
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi Andy.

Don't forget that the Combrig ships are resin. And you have to supply much of the detail stuff yourself...

If I was you, and don't have space worries, I would go with 1/350. A very good start is Trumpeter's 1/350 Graf Spee. I built one with Eduard's PE set and an Artwox wooden deck, recently and it was a very good, easy to build combination.
But if you are after WW1 the ICM German battleships are good. Again, I built the Markgraf with a PE set and wooden deck and it was also pretty good for ease of construction, painting etc. An added advantage is that you can get the ICM ships pretty cheap.

I have not built Trumpeter Queen Elizabeth but I have heard it too is yet another marvellous Trumpeter kit, as is their Dreadnought.

Cheers
Warren
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC
Warren.

I love the smell of resin in the morning...

It's more important to me to be a British vessel.

Andy
 _GOTOTOP