_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Weathering a submarine
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi,

After a long time away from the hobby, I bought AFV Club's 1/350 Gato Class Submarine, 1943 and intend to make the USS Barb. I'd like to make a well-weathered boat.

I understand that the boats were overhauled after every patrol so they would not get too rusty, but I want a worn boat. Since they spend so much time on the surface compared to modern SSNs and SSBNs, it will be weathered more like a ship, with rust streaking above the waterline, and nondirectional weathering below.

So my question is, what techniques should I use to get this effect? I've though of using blue, white, grey, and maybe some ochre dot filters on the above water sections.

Any tips would be appreciated. I've wanted to build a Gato for awhile and finally have my chance...I want this to look good!

EDIT:I've long admired Jan Klarbęk's USS Barb. That's the kind of weathering I'm looking for; if I could mimic that I'd be a happy man (of course!).

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 02:28 PM UTC
Have you looked at AK-Interactive's weathering kit for ships ?
Their products for armor are good and extremely easy to use,perhaps the ship kit is something worth looking at.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 04:16 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip Anthony. I'll look into it, but I'd like to use what I have (washes, filters, and some pastels) to get the job done. Costs less and seems to be what most folks use.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 07:05 PM UTC
Check out Daniel Moscatelli's U-boat builds. The weathering is fantastic. You can find them on this site with a little bit of searching.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 08:13 AM UTC
Just saw his Fletcher build...amazing.
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
Samuel ... you dont notice Julian!! He is my uncle and is very lie!!

Since they recommended to you the products naval of AK, Already they are prompt and are very easy. Only it sees of to little is a very small scale and it will shell them they are in the habit of going out on a large scale. This one well a picadura and a language of oxide but an oxide of 10 meters of length ... mmmmm Can prove small touches of oils and wash them with turpentine or can give filters or surface washes with very diluted oils and stopping to dry between one and other one to be able to estimate the differences.... Nobody has the perfect formula!! This is very personal and it never works out equal for others .

regards Daniel and remember dont listen Julian ....
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Samuel ... you dont notice Julian!! He is my uncle and is very lie!!

Since they recommended to you the products naval of AK, Already they are prompt and are very easy. Only it sees of to little is a very small scale and it will shell them they are in the habit of going out on a large scale. This one well a picadura and a language of oxide but an oxide of 10 meters of length ... mmmmm Can prove small touches of oils and wash them with turpentine or can give filters or surface washes with very diluted oils and stopping to dry between one and other one to be able to estimate the differences.... Nobody has the perfect formula!! This is very personal and it never works out equal for others .

regards Daniel and remember dont listen Julian ....

_GOTOTOP