_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Railings
Guy_Tombs
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC
hi all,
in the near future im going to build the 1/350 trumpeter graf spee and im gonna be doing all the photo etch and the one part of it im unsure about is how to do the railings and it looks pretty daunting task if im honest so I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice
thanks
Guy
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 07:46 AM UTC
I built the Trumpeter Graf Spee about a year ago specifically because I thought it struck a good balance between size and complexity. So I think you've made a good choice. Do the railings in the set you'll be using have a smooth upper edge or do the posts stick up like in the photo below? Only reason I ask is the railings in the photo have a habit of catching on every little thing. If you're concerned about the railings and haven't bought the PE yet you might try a different set.

Guy_Tombs
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC
I plan on getting the eduard set and I haven't done railings at all before and im just not sure when in the build to do them or how to do them
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Guy,

There is no one right way to deal with railings, but I work this way, basically with the exception of the main deck railings, round the outside, I work from the inside out, and the bottom up, with the maindeck railings as late as possible, because those are the easy ones to damage. Also study the etch sets instructions along with the kit's, and I tend to end up annotating both so I don't forget what to goes on when, as very rarely to they follow the same order of construction.

I am not familiar with the Eduard set, but I presuming the railings are etched in the correct lengths for each section, For sharp bends I use a pair of gripping tweezers, line up with the appropriate stantion, and bend with the back of a knife blade, for curves around a former, anything from a paint jar to a paintbrush handle, always check and recheck before you bend, obvious really, but I forget sometimes and get it wrong.

To attach, I tack in place with CA glue and then run white glue along the join to seal any gaps and give a strong join.

I always prime the fret with the base colour of the ship, and touch up after fitting, others prefer to add the etch and paint later.

Hope that helps, but also look at the build logs, that will give you an idea of the different ways.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC
I used the Eduard set and mine stays in the display case so no problems with catching. I believe the protruding stanchions would have been used for attaching awnings to.

I do the same as Simon and paint the railings first before I attach them, then I touch up the shiny spots after they are installed.

My recent GS..

Guy_Tombs
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC
Thank for the advice guys will try it out, are you doing another build anytime soon warren?
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:28 AM UTC
Nice built Warren
 _GOTOTOP