_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Photo Etch question for experienced modellers
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 07:32 AM UTC
I have a question about using PE on ship models. Specifically, I have several 1/350 scale ships I am preparing to build and want to know some things. First and foremost, what kind of prep should be made to the PE for painting, and should it be painted prior to application. Second, and just as important, is what do people do with the molded on detail like ladders and hatches? do you apply the PE over it or remove it entirely. Thanks ahead of time for replies!
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Brian,
Cut off molded on parts that you want to replace with PE, ( ladders etc.).
Pianting depends on the parts you are fitting. Ladders, hatchways can be sprayed with the rest of the prt you are working on. Railings are easier to work with if sprayed first and touched up after installing.
Of course this is just my 2 cents worth, different strokes for different folks.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC
i agree with the above. it really comes down to what part it is. railings are definately easier doing seperate. mainly because you would put them on during the final stages. im working on finishing my first ship. you would see it in the forum topics for the 1/350 musashi. i have found that ship building, you do it in sections. so depending on that section, you may, or may not be able to paint it while completely built as you would other things
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Model Shipwrights: 84 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
I wash my model parts and the pe fret with dish soap to remove any finger print and mold oils. I am no expert, but I have always put the railings on before painting them or the model.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 08:37 PM UTC
Personally, I paint PE railings well before I install them to allow the paint to reach full strength. Whether or not to paint other PE parts depens on where they are going. If you are doing hatches etc and are putting a wooden deck on your ship, paint the hatches and other deck fittings before you install them on the wooden deck.

Speaking of wooden decks, make sure you spray the area where you are putting the deck on to give the deck's adhesive something to bite onto, bare plastic is not good enough. Matt paint is excellent.

Don't forget to anneal any PE parts you are going to have to put a curve in as it makes it much easier to bend and they won't spring back all the time. But be careful not to put too much heat into the railings especially as they will melt very quickly with too much heat. Just heat them until the PE changes colour. No need to get them glowing!! Then let them air-cool, don't quench them in water or you will defeat the purpose.

_GOTOTOP