_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
1/350 USS Fletcher DD-445build
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Model Shipwrights: 83 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hellooo out there! My first post here on Model Shipwrights. I'm usually on Armorama but I decided to stray onto here for maybe a bit. I've built a few ships over the years (all 12 or 13 that I've been building), but I've never been too good at it... Well I hope to change that with this build.

I got this kit a few days ago (of course off of eBay ) at a major discount: just $10 plus $6 for shipping. As you'd expect from a kit bought at this much of a discount, it was started slightly, the hull and gun director have been started, it was all primed up, and a few (ok, QUITE a few) pieces have been lost at sea. I've put an order in to Tamiya and now just need to send out a money order. I bought a Tamiya 1/350 Crew Set to add to this.

All I've done is paint the figures and the base. Here is the ship so far:

As you can see I drilled out the mooring points things. I'm not sure what they're called...

I know, the figures are pretty bright. They'll be "matted" down when I finish with a spray of matte varnish.

But so far it's going well. I haven't broken anything... yet.

Now a question: if I wanted to build the USS Fletcher, would Tamiya AS-8 be an appropriate color? If not, which Fletcher-class destroyer would be painted with the color similar to AS-8 Navy Blue? Otherwise, which color was the DD-445 Fletcher's hull painted with? I'll buy it and go from there.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 06:46 PM UTC
Great to see you come to the great side of the Hobby( ). Looks like you are off to a very nice start.....Cheers mark
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 08:01 AM UTC
Thank you. I do tend to venture to other areas every once in a while. Sometimes I stay. Started from aircraft, moved a little bit to autos, dropped that and went to armor. Now if I can build this thing up well, maybe I add some ship building to my résumé.

I now have the hull taped up but, unfortunately, due to strong winds on the playing fields, painting is suspended indefinitely.

Anyone comments on the hull paint?? Is the Navy Blue AS-8 ok to use?
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 03:45 PM UTC
Would Tamiya AS-32 Medium Sea Gray or AS-18 Light Gray be appropriate for painting the upper hull? Which one would be best to use?
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC
Painted the lower hull and upper hull. No pictures for the upper hull yet. Now onto to painting the deck, the gun turrets, and superstructure. The replacement parts got here yesterday so I'm finally able to do this.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 04:52 AM UTC
Well I finally finished building it. All I need to do now is apply the decals and some varnish and it'll be finished...
 _GOTOTOP