_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/72 type ixc U Boat
bikehead90
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:56 PM UTC
So this is my first time posting on this site -- I usually build armor -- and I was needing some help with a ship model. Recently I have built some of the biggest armor of WW2 (german Maus, British Tortoise, U.S. T-95 ect) and I have run out of steam for armor for the time being. Initially I wanted to build Revell's 1/72 GATO. But due to it being very popular, paired with the discontinuation of the kit, this has resulted in over-inflated prices for this masterpiece. So my next bet is the type IXC Uboat. Unfortunately this kit is only a few months old, so those nice aftermarket parts are hard to come by. I guess this post is me asking for tips. I found this guy's build of the XIIC and almost don't want to attempt it, because of how insanely good it is, but, dang-it, I'm going to try.
I've been building armor for quite some time, but I've never gone into the amount of detail as this guy has. I just want to know where to start. I'm thinking either salt or hairspray, or both for the heavy rust look. How do I get the heavy salt water wear look? I want this ship to look like it has had a rough career.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:28 AM UTC
HI

In addition to some builds and info here, try:

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?PHPSESSID=9sdb0g0ck0k02s8lnqt8hlhon4&board=64.0

and:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewforum.php?f=59

HTH

Tom
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC
The hair spray/salt and water techiques are great for the chipped paint look but for consider rust on seagoing vessels would be different than on armor. Rust stains will have a 'flowing' look to them, for example, from water flowing from the flood holes. Not unlike rain streak rust you'd see on armor models.

Get good references images of U-boats images to see what and well worn boat would look like. The net is full of them.

And might I interest you in a Battle of the Atlantic Campaing build being planned for starting this fall,here and here?

A Type IX would be a perfect subject for it.
bikehead90
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:18 PM UTC
I'll just do some of the very minor stuff while I wait for photo etch and a wooden deck. In the meantime, I'll have to research it more
bikehead90
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:24 PM UTC
Actually, would anyone have anywhere to find pics of the U505. My girlfriend and I saw it in October, but some of my pics aren't the best. Especially the decking.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC
Here is a link to a walk around

http://www.cybermodeler.com/naval/uboot/u-505_walk.shtml

Cheers,
Joe
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:47 AM UTC
I got to see her before she was moved to a new indoor closure -so glad they did.

It was great to see the similarities and differences between a German boat and American boats like Lionfish, Croaker and Becuna.

I was surprised to see the amount of woodwork there was in the 505's interior -mostly for cabinents.

US boats had no wood except for the decking.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,
I will watch this with interest as it a kit I will try sometime. And as for U505, at least you got to see it. I have been to Chicago twice in the past two years and had no idea they had a Uboat to go and see.

cheers
Michael
bikehead90
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:11 PM UTC
I know it's been quite some time since I last posted, but I haven't gotten anything done really except for sand out the holes. My local hobby shop people went on vacation, and I am waiting on the eduard photo etch sets before I really buckle down. While I've been waiting, I've been building a jadgtiger for a local competition in May.

bikehead90
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen,
I will watch this with interest as it a kit I will try sometime. And as for U505, at least you got to see it. I have been to Chicago twice in the past two years and had no idea they had a Uboat to go and see.

cheers
Michael

Yeah, I'm a very easy-going and not a demanding person, but when I found out about the trip, it pretty much demanded to go see it lol. The only think I didn't like was you had to pay to get in the museum and pay to go on board. But it was $15 well-spent -- unless you're claustrophobic.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Model Shipwrights: 306 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:53 PM UTC
You want to follow Glenn Cauley's build here.
 _GOTOTOP