_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Support Vessels
Non-combat support vessels of any type and post-sail.
Hosted by Harry
Trumpeter 1/350th HMS Roberts
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC
Recieved notice from Axel's Modelbaushop that my HMS Roberts was dispatched today. Looking forward to this model.
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 05:17 AM UTC
And it''s arrived. Smaller than I expected but including some amazingly fine moulding. equally delicate PE included.
A very busy little build it will turn out te be I think.
I'll get some snaps up asap,
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:53 PM UTC
It'll be good to see some pics, Julian.

It's a weird choice of subject by Trumpeter, considering there's so much more pent up demand for other ships. (EG Nelson class or RN flat tops). Can't help but wonder...
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It'll be good to see some pics, Julian.

It's a weird choice of subject by Trumpeter, considering there's so much more pent up demand for other ships. (EG Nelson class or RN flat tops). Can't help but wonder...

Now I would most definately commit murder for a 1/200th Nelson or Rodney. The Holy Grail of plug ugly battlewagons
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
Okido, photo time for the HMS Roberts.
This has to be one of the ugliest ships ever to have landed on my workbench. Everything seems completely wrong with her proportions. Having said that my impression of Trumpeters latest offering after a jolly good rummage around in the box is all positive and thumbs up-ish. Excellent moulding and extremely fine work on the AAA gunbarrels, masts etc. Beautifully etched sheets, (albeit rather soft), metal anchor chain and clear instructions. sink marks out of sight once built and no flash at all. The model has obviously been made using the many reference photo's online. It seems small to my rather jaded eyes, (due to building the Hornet at the moment in "insane scale"), and I haven't done any test fitting but I haven't seen anything that looks like a problem. At the price why wait? Snap it up:

Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC
Being ugly is what makes this ship cool
And with all that PE it's a really good Price.
Jacob
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks for posting the pics Julian,

Proportions look about right, and it does look like a decent box full, nice to see the maindeck railings, and that Trumpeter have discovered what a 4 barrel pompom is.

Have built the WEM Roberts, but am tempted by this as it represents the ship a little later in her career.

Si

P.S. Who do we need to kill for the 1/200th Rodney?
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for posting the pics Julian,

Proportions look about right, and it does look like a decent box full, nice to see the maindeck railings, and that Trumpeter have discovered what a 4 barrel pompom is.

Have built the WEM Roberts, but am tempted by this as it represents the ship a little later in her career.

Si

P.S. Who do we need to kill for the 1/200th Rodney?

Hope that someone at Trumpeter keeps an eye on this forum. You would be interested too I gather Simon
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 10:03 AM UTC
Truly, an ugly beast she be!

Whilst the National Maritime Museum charge for ship plans, I think RN releases will always be thin on the ground
bdanie6
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 10:49 AM UTC
Julian, I'l be following this build with great interest. I might actually give this one a try. I always like to watch the work of one of the masters

Later
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 04:20 PM UTC
This is one that I am really wanting, I guess because it does look, odd? I haven't done any figuring, but am guessing that it is about the size of a Fletcher maybe?
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Truly, an ugly beast she be!

Whilst the National Maritime Museum charge for ship plans, I think RN releases will always be thin on the ground

We haven't been doing too badly the last few years with Dreadnoughts and Warspites rolling of the production line. A 1/200th Hood has also been mentioned. The Nelson and Rodney always seemed to be too far out of bounds, (I seem to remember a 1/600th Airfix model when I was (a lot) younger. The Roberts gives some hope that A Nelson or Rodney could be considered
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 05:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Julian, I'l be following this build with great interest. I might actually give this one a try. I always like to watch the work of one of the masters

Later

Thanks Bruce, very kind of you. It might be a while before I start this build being extremely busy with the USS Hornet at this moment in time
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 05:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is one that I am really wanting, I guess because it does look, odd? I haven't done any figuring, but am guessing that it is about the size of a Fletcher maybe?

Spot on Troy,
The Roberts and Fletcher are both about 114m long. It's beam of these two that differ wildly:
Fletcher 12m
Roberts 27m

Go figure what that will do to the difference in speed

warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Spot on Troy,
The Roberts and Fletcher are both about 114m long. It's beam of these two that differ wildly:
Fletcher 12m
Roberts 27m

Don't forget the Roberts was designed as a coastal defence monitor. I think they were lucky to get her across the channel successfully.

Oh, BTW, hello all.
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't forget the Roberts was designed as a coastal defence monitor. I think they were lucky to get her across the channel successfully.

Oh, BTW, hello all.

It's Alive !................................
Welcome back aboard Warren, long time no hear
The Roberts does bear a stunning resemblance to one of those yellow plastic ducklings you can float in the bath tub....Not that I am implying that I play with a yellow plastic duckling in the bath of course........
bdanie6
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC
"Thanks Bruce, very kind of you. It might be a while before I start this build being extremely busy with the USS Hornet at this moment in time"

That's okay Julian, I'm following that one too.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Spot on Troy,
Fletcher 12m
Roberts 27m

Oh, BTW, hello all.

He's baa-aaaack!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Spot on Troy,
Fletcher 12m
Roberts 27m

Oh, BTW, hello all.

He's baa-aaaack!

Kinda sorta..

I am ensconced in my caravan in Adelaide and therefore have very little room for building models unfortunately. The main problem being where to put them when they are finished..

But I am still buying accaisionally and having them shipped to Brisbane.. only 2000km away!

So basically the 1/200 Missouri will have to wait a bit longer..

Cheers all
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 03:42 AM UTC
found Warren!!!! Ajjajaja I suppose that this trip we will see it in Nat Geo!!!

That I sew ugly this Roberts!!!! Jajajja But it wakes up in my pretty feeling.
I believe that the ideal scale was a 1/144!!!!!!

Daniel
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:29 AM UTC
[Quoted text]
Fletcher 12m
Roberts 27m

Hmmmmmm, So, the Roberts, if done in 1/144, would be the same length as the RoG Fletcher. Very interesting, now wouldn't it be nice if that gives someone at Trumpeter ideas about scaling it up a wee bit. Certainly a more manageable sized model than some other large scale kits. Al
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

found Warren!!!! Ajjajaja I suppose that this trip we will see it in Nat Geo!!!

That I sew ugly this Roberts!!!! Jajajja But it wakes up in my pretty feeling.
I believe that the ideal scale was a 1/144!!!!!!

Daniel

Hello Daniel.

The trip is a long one when you are towing a 2.5 tonne caravan behind your four wheel drive, and at times you feel like you are the only living soul for miles and miles, but I didn't take any photos so I don't think the National Geographic would like any article.

Most of the trip was through the 'outback' of NSW, Victoria and South Australia so much of it was flat, featureless plains.. But very beautiful if you actually got out of the car and just stood and listened to the silence.. until the flies annoyed you so much you had to get back in the car and leave! One thing Australia has lots of it is flies..

I do believe we are in a golden age of ship modelling at the moment thanks to companies like Trumpeter being willing to take risks with their releases, but all some people can do is whinge about them.. sigh.. No one here falls into that category luckily.

Cheers
Warren
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:52 PM UTC
Ahoy Warren

Great to see you back on the scene.

Yip Aussie has its fair share of flies. You have flies we have sheep hahaha

I hope you are surviving the elements (heat & cold) in the caravan ok?

Cheers

Sean
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Warren

Great to see you back on the scene.

Yip Aussie has its fair share of flies. You have flies we have sheep hahaha

I hope you are surviving the elements (heat & cold) in the caravan ok?

Cheers

Sean

Hi there Sean.

Sheep don't try and fly into your mouth, ears, nose etc etc at ever y opportunity so I think I would rather have them... although we do have quite a few million in Australia.. sheep that is..

Anyway, the caravan has a reverse cycle air-conditioner in it so the temperature is not too much of a problem.. but it does get a lot colder here than in Brisbane.. COme to think of it it gets a lot hotter as well!!

:)

Cheers mate
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:51 AM UTC
Good to have you back on line Warren, is there anything true in the rumour going around that you are the new "Bush Tukker Man" on OZ tv?

_GOTOTOP