_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Civilian Ships & Boats
Covers all non-sail civilian ships, craft, and boats.
Extreme weathering
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thought this might be interesting for the squeaky clean build guys. This ship visited IJmuiden a couple of weeks ago and gives a good idea of how grungy ships can become in normal service:

I can almost see the oil paint being applied here
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC

Love it.

RJ
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC
I have some more I'll post.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC
The Missus always used to ask why in Heavens name must I make my models look so grungy. Having shown her numerous photos like the one above, she has resigned herself to my need to suitably weather a subject. But deep down in her heart of hearts I know she harbors a lingering desire to convince me to build cleaner models. As a homemaker and the keeper of a spotless house she has a strong need, bordering on obsession, to keep everything "Shipshape and Bristol fashion". I think she was probably a Bosun in a previous life! Al
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:32 AM UTC
That's not grungy, that's a lack of maintenance! Clearly, the owners intend to drive that ship until she is simply not seaworthy anymore.

However, as a modeler's reference for advanced weathering, she is an inspiration.

--Karl
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:39 AM UTC
Not all owners can afford to keep their ship/fleet fully maintained. I imagine that in a case like this they perform whatever maintenance is absolutely necessary, and push the ship(s) as hard as they can to earn enough profit to keep their operation going.

Looking forward to more Julian!
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:49 AM UTC
Reminds me of how some Flower Corvettes looked after a couple runs.

There's lightly colored Western Approaches camouflages were badly mauled by rust.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:50 AM UTC
It's a rather simple equation nowadays. When I went to sea as an apprentice yuo still had about 40 crewmen on board an average size cargo vessel, (with cargo derricks, not containers). The ship was well maintained, superstructure and derricks getting painted and greased during the ocean crossings and the hull getting painted while discharging cargo in port.
Nowadays crews are cut to a minimum and the ship sees paint during the mandatory dock inspections.
Just the way things work nowadays.

Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:27 PM UTC
Here's a question then since I am no sailor. How long does it take for a boat to get that rusty? Is years of neglect or just a few months of hard weather sailing?
Michael
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's a question then since I am no sailor. How long does it take for a boat to get that rusty? Is years of neglect or just a few months of hard weather sailing?
Michael

Depends on where the ship has been sailing and in which conditions, on this photo what you see is a lot of staining by rustcoloured seawater. The genuine rust that is visible isn't really a problem, just needs wirebrushing, a couple of coats of primer and fresh paint. That would make a world of difference.

Same on these vessels:

Just hard worked, the trawlers are well maintained, here again you see the result of a few months at sea.

This ship looks okay, the anti fouling paint underwater is very interesting as far as weathering is concerned.

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rust, rust, beautiful rust.........................
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 01:45 AM UTC
The origin of all life.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:49 AM UTC
I know its a sinky thing, but even well maintained vessels can show some buildup of grime.

http://www.usscasimirpulaski.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=89463342
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know its a sinky thing, but even well maintained vessels can show some buildup of grime.

http://www.usscasimirpulaski.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=89463342

Now no one is going to accuse a USN submarine of being badly maintained. This is due to being used, great photo
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:56 AM UTC
I still like to model my ships new.No weathering.If I was to do a waterline model in a dio,then I would weather it.
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I still like to model my ships new.No weathering.If I was to do a waterline model in a dio,then I would weather it.

All comes down to what you see in what you are building. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to build a model.
It's meant to be fun and not a competition or a lifestyle.
Just my two cents................
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:07 AM UTC
The only thing that I am going to say in my defense is ...... I am innocent!!!!...... I was not!!!!!

I love it !!!!

Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

==) The only thing that I am going to say in my defense is ...... I am innocent!!!!...... I was not!!!!!

I love it !!!!

Daniel

And so speaks the South American King of weathering, Daniel, you could really be giving master classes in weathering my friend
The thread seems to strike a spark though, hope more photos of grungy ships are added
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All comes down to what you see in what you are building. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to build a model.

agreed sir
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

agreed sir

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:30 AM UTC
Very interesting thread.

When I build waterline I tend to weather, and full hull on a stand leave the model clean.

great pics as well, heres a couple more of ships that have been left to rot alongside a bit too long. Taken passing Kronstadt sailing out of St Petersburg in 2011

Si
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
I like the pics so far.
On a trainforum I got used to see pics by theme. This looks like it. Please keep sending them.

Cheers,

RJ
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:43 PM UTC
No reason why this thread can't keep running, might turn into a nice reference for different effects to use on model ships.

These for example are photos of a Soviet submarine that was left to rot for several years near Murmansk. It sank while under tow to the breakers yard taking the skeleton crew of runners with her.

This is an old Smit Lloyd 40-class supply/anchorhandling vessel left to rot in the tropics for several years.

This is a bulkcarrier that had a fire in her steering gear space. A store with paint and chemicals exploded blowing the poop deck up onto the accomodation, (you can see it just next to the funnel). She has since been repaired in Gdansk if I remember correctly and is back at work sailing the seas.
Hope I am not breaking any copywrites with these photos. If anyone has a problem please let me know and I will remove them.
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:57 PM UTC
These are quite interesting too:

This is the replica of the "Prins Willem" that burnt out due to a short circuit in the galley used for meetings and parties on board. You can see the construction had absolutely nothing to do with a real sailing vessel from the targeted period. The ship has recently been sold for scrap.
 _GOTOTOP