_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Vallejo paints - DKM colours
Lionfish
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 03:22 PM UTC
All,

Need a little bit og help - i really like my Vallejo model air colours for my WW1 planemodels, but i would like to know a good source for accurately converting them to DKM and RN colours during WW2 and also WW1 (dreadnought etc). or does anyone have an equivalency table for them even to Tamiya or others as i can then use the Vallejo tables to convert between tamiya and air and the model colour paints.

thanks in advance for any help!!

AM

JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 05:26 PM UTC
Hi Alastair,

try this link here:

http://www.tripms.org/reference/images/Paint%20Conversion%20Chart%2020100101.pdf

Well, it's not really handy to use, but has probably all information you are looking for.

If you're really serious about getting your ship's colors right, DKM and RN WW2, try this:

http://www.shipcamouflage.com

You don't get conversion tables, but chips of the original - or close to original for DKM - paint chips and then you try to match those by mixing and blending. After a while of frustration it is really fun!!

I started with Vallejo model air because of their great range of colors and the apparently simple way of applying them, however, for my 1/350 ships I never got them to work as I desired. Somehow they clogged my airbrush when I was trying to spray fine details, I trued thinning and diluting, no idea what I did wrong. I finally switched to Tamiya XF.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Jan
Lionfish
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 01:21 AM UTC
thanks jan..

i like to get the colours right and i don't like the rough feel of tamiya paints although i agree they are easy to use.

with the vallejo air had the same issues..but i learnt how to thin them and now i also buy their own brand large bottle airbrush thinner and cleaner and i am now pretty happy. i also pre mix them all in old tamiya jars so they have a consistency like low fat milk (?) or something like that... i think i measure about 30% paint to 70% valejo thinner - this one is clear and not white as i think that thinner is for model colour.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 02:06 AM UTC
Cough, cough. Lifecolour? Nice sets of KM colours available. Great paint to work with.
Just my 2 cents.
Lionfish
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 12:49 PM UTC
julian,

have not had a lot of experience with life colour but i heard they are very mat?

still i saw that set and would make life easy... and then i could match the vallejos anyhow : )
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:00 AM UTC
No, not all matt,some have a light gloss sheen. I usually seal acrylics in with Vallejo matt varnish anyway.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC
Lifecolor USN paints had accuracy issues - has anyone checked their DKM colors?
 _GOTOTOP