_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
News
Tamiya: CV-5 Yorktown Waterline Kit
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 12:50 AM UTC

Announced for an end of July release, a waterline version kit of this ship with a complement of TBD torpedo bombers, SBD dive bombers and F4 fighters.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Red_Tory
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC
This is new? I thought they already released this kit last year? Basically a repop of the Hornet with new sprues for the Yorktown's bridge and deck?
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
Which in itself could be the reboxed Enterprise kit.

Without seeing the sprue trees myself to compare I can't say for certain but it's a common practice in the kit industry to repackage the basic mold and add in differences like decals or maybe in this case, different aircraft.

I think the Hornet kit has B-25s for the Doolittle raid.
Devin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Yes, this is the kit that was released some time ago (I remember seeing it on display at the Nationals in Orlando in 2012). I picked it up online some time ago.

It's a mis-mash repop of the old Enterprise and Hornet kits. Basically it looks like the Yorktown, but it's underscale like the old kits (actually around 1/720th), the island is too thin and has incorrect details, and the AA gun galleries around the flight deck are not correct for any of the three ships at any time during their careers. Very disappointing.
 _GOTOTOP