_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Astute Out of Box review
Mechworker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 11:31 AM UTC
Here’s something I don’t normally build: a submarine! I’ve always found subs cool, and I just recently started getting interested enough in them to start building them.

I picked up the Hobby Boss 1/350 Astute Class on a hobby shop run, and I am looking forward to seeing how it looks all put together. Click below for an out of box review.

I do find it a bit odd that the Chinese are the ones modelling the Brits’ newest attack sub, and from what I can see in pictures on the internet, it looks fairly accurate. I don’t know exactly what sign of the apocalypse that is, or if that says something about international espionage, but I’m okay with it if we can keep getting kits like this!

If anyone has any tips for building this kit, I'd appreciate it!

Astute Out of Box
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 03:59 PM UTC
Adam, interesting project!!! Not nothing of these modern submarines like that that I will be attentive to your advances.

Regards Daniel
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 04:24 PM UTC
One build I like of this kit is by Scott Van Aken that he posted at Modeling Madness. It got me back into getting some sub kits again.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/misc/ships/hobbyboss/astute.htm
Mechworker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 01:47 PM UTC
This is actually a nice kit; not too complicated, but there are some issues with the seam lines.

It's not overy arduous to build, but the paint scheme on the box really seems to be wrong, so I've gone with a few photos I've found.

It's pretty much done, but I've still got to get some pictures of it.

It's definitely a fun kit to build, overall, and it's one I think anyone can have a good experience with.
 _GOTOTOP