_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
New to model ship building...have questions
generalgrog
KitMaker: 41 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hello guys, I've recently taken an interest in the battle of Midway, and have decided to build all of the ships in 1/700 scale that I can from task force 16 and 17 during the battle of Midway.

So being new, to this aspect of the hobby I made the (arguably) unfortunate decision of buying the tamiya Enterprise and Hornet. I now know that these tamiya ships aren't the most accurate, so I will be putting them back on ebay where I bought them.

I decided to forgo doing the carriers (I will probably use toms model works carriers)until I get some experience on the smaller ships first.

So I purchased two Skywave/pitroad USS Monssen, Gleaves class destroyers and PE sets, which I was planning to use to represent the U.S.S. Monssen DD-436, and the U.S.S. Gwin DD-433.

As I plan to do similar things for the other destroyer clases at Midway. My main question is, is it ok to buy multiple models of the class, and build them the same? Or are there significant differences between the ships of the class.

So for example for the U.S.S. Monssen and the U.S.S. Gwin, are they basically twins, just with a different number on the hull?

I'm speaking specifically in June of 42'. can the same be said of the Farragut, Sims,Porter, Mahan, Gridley, and Benham classes?

I've just started my research on the subject so I would also appreciate any helpful links or book references.

Thanks!!

GG
 _GOTOTOP