_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Building the Revell IXC 1/72 as U-156
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi everyone.

As is my custom, I always begin a build while working on another. I want to build the IXC by Revell not as U-505 yet as the Hartenstein boat. I believe Captain Hartenstein was a hero and I would like to honor him.

Any suggestions on how to convert this model. I have bad arthritis in my hands and cannot do a lot of scratch building.

Thank you.

Alex
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
Alex,

I take your admiration for Captain Hartenstein stems from his attempt to provide assistance to the survivors of RMS Laconia, after he had torpedoed it, only inturned to be attacked by US bomber aircraft that resulted in deaths of survivors in a Laconia lifeboat.

As for reference, I found this build log at Fine Scale Modeler of someone doing the very same thing you are looking to do.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/159452.aspx?sort=ASC&pi240=1

Hope this helps.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 07:11 AM UTC
Alex,
Basically, it requires the addition of a 10.5cm deck gun.

I will check my books to see if it needs other mods.

Cheers,
Joe
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
From what I've read, Captain Hartenstein was gracious to the survivors of the boats he sunk. Of course, the Laconia incident made him famous. In Judaism, the Talmud says that saving one life is as though you saved the life of the world. Captain Hartenstein saved hundreds of lives that day during a war...a war that is a lot more grey than we give credit. Be well. Alex
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi Joe.

I think I have the 10.5 cm deck gun. I bought both sets from RCSUBS (the brass deck with all the trimmings plus the gun). I also bought the Eduard Big Ed set. What I can't figure out is how to purchase the periscopes from Model Schatten (I think that's right).

Be well.

Alex
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 08:49 AM UTC
Very good choice Alex!!! I recommend to you the mini series of the BBC " The sinking of the Laconia "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xgjnm

Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alex,

I take your admiration for Captain Hartenstein stems from his attempt to provide assistance to the survivors of RMS Laconia, after he had torpedoed it, only inturned to be attacked by US bomber aircraft that resulted in deaths of survivors in a Laconia lifeboat.

As for reference, I found this build log at Fine Scale Modeler of someone doing the very same thing you are looking to do.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/159452.aspx?sort=ASC&pi240=1

Hope this helps.

....Interesting blog that of the colleague of FineScale. Some day I will publish some work there.

Daniel
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 09:27 AM UTC
Alex,

Email them for purchase instructions, as it looks like you cannot buy direct from the website.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Joe
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC
I have contacted Schatton Modellbau about their periscope sets: very excited. Question: how do you paint hatches and the deck gun/wintergarten gun?

Thanks.

Alex
 _GOTOTOP