_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Dragon Z-38 (1:350) mistake
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi All,
At the moment I'm building the main armament for this kit (Z-38 a 1936(mob) type destroyer), and I've noticed Dragon have made a boo-boo. Part K5.
All my references (book and net) state the main armament as five, 5.9"(150mm) guns in one twin and three single mounts.
I believe Dragon have modelled the three single mounts with 5"(127mm) guns. They are visibly shorter than either the kit's twin mount barrels, or Trumpeter's Z-30 single barrels (from Z-30 a 1936 type destroyer).
5" guns were fitted on earlier and later classes of German destroyer, but the 1936(mob) type had ALL 5.9" main armament.
So, anyone contemplating this (or other Dragon German destroyer kits?), might have to consider AM brass barrels.
All the best
Tom
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC
Can you extend the barrel length at the trunnion end by inserting a piece of plastic rod?
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 04:21 AM UTC
I've resorted to a bit of subterfuge. I've cut the barrels just forward of the breech and just moved the pieces a little apart ignoring where the trunnions are supposed to locate.
An extra thick coat of paint on the barrel should help hide their thinner diameter.
Keeping them crossed
Tom
 _GOTOTOP