_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Any good warships web site?
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 150 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi guys i am new to warship,would u guys please give me some useful and nice warship web site?
Also what is your building style?out of the box or something?
Thanks
Tim Lo
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Timlo, my favourite warship website is http://steelnavy.com There are plenty of reviews and model pictures.
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC
I am modeling a the King George V of Tamiya,any tips?how can i paint it?wjay should the color be?should i use PE?and also,is there any good 1/700 Bismarck kit?
Thnaks
Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am modeling a the King George V of Tamiya,any tips?how can i paint it?wjay should the color be?should i use PE?and also,is there any good 1/700 Bismarck kit?
Thnaks

Hi Tim, I am Siew Keong from Singapore. I had been visiting this web site and found it petty good. U may even locate the 1:700 Bismarck from one of their links.

http://www.modelwarships.com

Hope u enjoy. Happy New Year.

SK

Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC
hey,Siew Keong
Do u use PE?or metal barrel?if u do,where do u buy them?can u buy for me and i pay u back?it is hard to get in Hong Kong
Thanks
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC
thats a nice web site lots of cool ships..
what is a good scale to build???
i allwasy wanted to try to build a ship
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hello Timlo, The sites that the others mentioned are great helps. One other site that I belong to is the Model Fleet, If you want to check it out just click on my link below.
The only 1/700 Bismarck available in plastic is the Aoshima kit. I built this one earlier this year along with the Tamiya Prinz Eugen. The Aoshima kit is not the quality of Tamiya kits, it has soft detail and the main guns are molded on to the turrets. But still builds into a fine model ! And it is the only game out there, unless one goes to Resin. Then Samik makes a nice Bismarck. I just built the Tamiya KGV in 1/350 scale, you can look at it and my other ships in my gallery below. I modeled the KGV in its late war scheme with the dark grey strip over its armor plate. I used Model masters enamel Gunship grey, dark gull grey tinted with a little blue, and dark sea blue for the horizontel surfices.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask !

Cheers,
Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thats a nice web site lots of cool ships..
what is a good scale to build???
i allwasy wanted to try to build a ship

Hello Tazz, 1/700, 1/400 and 1/350, there all good scales. 1/700 scale offers the largest selection of kits and is the most popular. Though you have to have good eye site and nimble fingers!
1/350 and 1/400 scale offer more detail and are easier to work on and new kits are coming in the future. there only drawback is display space, they are large models.
If I may suggest a good starting kit, it is the Tamiya 1/350 Kid fletcher Destroyer ! It has great fit, highly detailed, and is not overwhelming for a first build. It has always been a fine kit !

HTH,
Garry
Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do u use PE?or metal barrel?if u do,where do u buy them?

Hi Tim,

I used PE but not metal barrels as I drill out the barrels in 14-16 inch guns. Plastic is more easy to drill out (I think, cos I have no experience with metal casting so far).

Getting ship accessories in Singapore is difficult as well. I had them order from US and payment was made to them in VISA. The site that I had recomended to u had some company that will ship yr item to u with a shipping cost. So far I had purchase from the following companies and w/o problems.

The Floating Drydock,
Pacific front hobbies
Toms modelworks.

All of them carry photoetch, resin and plastic kits and accessories. Some even carry plan that u can do some scratch building.

Enjoy
Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:08 PM UTC
[/qoute]1/350 and 1/400 scale offer more detail and are easier to work on and new kits are coming in the future. there only drawback is display space, they are large models.
If I may suggest a good starting kit, it is the Tamiya 1/350 Kid fletcher Destroyer ! It has great fit, highly detailed, and is not overwhelming for a first build. It has always been a fine kit ![/quote]

Hi, Garry

Sorry to say but I never got to finished my fletcher. Maybe one of this days...juz one of this days...

BTW, u mentioned abt 1:400 scale. I dun have one but was quite kin to try on one of them. So far, I only aware that Heller are producing these scales but not knowing the quality of their mould. What's your opinion? and comparison with Tamiya and Trumpeter?

SK
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hi SK, Speaking of 1/400 scale kits, Touro makes 3 Italian heavy cruisers in 1/400 scale. The Zora, Pola, and Gorzilia. Very nice kits!
Mirage Makes several Polish destroyers and torpedo boats in 1/400.
Heller kits are good, I have built all of them. The quality is not as good as
Tamiya kits, the hull is split in two halfs, but I find this not a problem.
They build into great models! And they offer ships that know other manufacture
Does. It seems odd, but realy you have more to choose from in 1/400 than you do in 1/350 scale. Heller makes 15 different ship kits alone.
There 3 pocket battleships are the best of the lot!

HTH,
Garry
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:23 PM UTC
Timlo: Have you checked www.warships1.com? Lots of pictures there and it has forums as well (but not as organized as this).

As for the scale query: I more comfortable with 1/700 waterline - very nice, especially the Japanese brands which are very well detailed.
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:49 PM UTC
hey guys,u have been so helpful,i am building 1/700 Tamiya KGV,buti don't know what color should paint it,can anyone help?
Thanks
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey guys,u have been so helpful,i am building 1/700 Tamiya KGV,buti don't know what color should paint it,can anyone help?
Thanks

Timlo, What year are you building your KGV to represent ?
The KGV wore many different paint schemes thru out
her service years.
If I new the year I might be able to tell you what colors to
paint your model.

Cheers,
Garry
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:56 PM UTC
I don't know about the year and there is not much imformation in the instruction sheet,but i think i wanna paint it as the on appear in www.tamiya.com but i don't know the color,please give me more information
Thanks for helping
Tim Lo
Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There 3 pocket battleships are the best of the lot.

Wow, Thanks Garry. I had a Mirage 1/400 U-boat and the details are super. Unfortunately in Singapore, Heller is only carried by 1 or 2 shops and the availability is not high. But thanks to yr comments mention above, it give me an idea of what to get 1st for the coming New Year.

Happy New Year everyone.

BTW, I had posted some photo of my 1:350 USS Arizona in my gallery. Take a look and give me some feedback so that I can improve on it, and make it happen for the 1:350 Missouri that I am working now.

Cheers
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There 3 pocket battleships are the best of the lot.

Wow, Thanks Garry. I had a Mirage 1/400 U-boat and the details are super. Unfortunately in Singapore, Heller is only carried by 1 or 2 shops and the availability is not high. But thanks to yr comments mention above, it give me an idea of what to get 1st for the coming New Year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Very nice Arizona ! I cant find any thing wrong with your ship.
As a matter of fact Job well done ! Nice clean work indeed.
What PE set did you use on it ?
I used the Toms modelworks set on mine.
Nice work bud!

Garry

BTW, I had posted some photo of my 1:350 USS Arizona in my gallery. Take a look and give me some feedback so that I can improve on it, and make it happen for the 1:350 Missouri that I am working now.

Cheers

Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:36 PM UTC
Thanks, Garry

Happy New Year to Everyone!! NEW YEAR RESOLUTION, anyone??

I had use the PE set from GMM. I compare them on the reviews listed in the http:/www.modelwarships.com/ before I purchase them.

My view that GMM offer very nice PE for 1:350 but TMW did a good job for 1:700.

Anyone building the 1:700 USS Indianapolis? I recommend the TMW's sacale set, #748. IT'S FABULOUS

SK
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hello SK, I have the Tamiya 1/700 Indiapolis in my kit stash. If it is anything like there
Prinz Eugen kit, it will be a very great build ! I have had it for a long time now, as I have been
Building 1/350 ships lately. I am now building the Tamiya 1/350 IJN Yamoto. It is in a group
build on the Model Fleet site. I am useing the WEM pe set on it.
I have found that Toms pe set are ok, but there instructions realy suck! The Gold metal pe sets that you mentioned and the WEM's pe are the best !
I only use PE on my 1/350 and 1/400 kits, my fat fingers and these old eyes cant handle
the smaller stuff !

Nice talking ships with you SK !

Garry
Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hello Garry.

I had not build the Prinz Eugen but just check out the review on the Modelwarships site and are delighted to quote the following from Len Roberto that had done the review,

"Prinz Eugen takes the detail of last yrs Indianapolis Kit and gones one better"

Then I went thru the review of Indianaplis and hereby report that,

"Tamiya had broken some new gounds with this kit (Indianapolis), as it is far superior to any other US Ships they have produced to date."

And in conclusion,

"Bravo to Tamiya for possibly the best 1/700 Scale USN kit to hit the market to date".

Well then, consider ... ... consider... consider.

SK
 _GOTOTOP