_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
USS Indianapolis
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 - 02:30 PM UTC
Chris Flodberg Takes a break from sharing images of his great dioramas and reviews Trumpeter''s USS Indianapolis model in 1/350th scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 03:24 AM UTC
A very nice review Chris, written in an easy to read format that is informative.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 05:17 AM UTC
Nice review Chris, your comment on the strange lines down the hull had me intrigued so I did some checking and found this picture taken at Mare island1945 which does show them however other photos taken 1944 and before don't seem to show them.
As to what they are your guess is as good as mine. First thought was degaussing cables but it seems weird that if they are they don't go the whole length of the hull.

Photo for discussion only, although available in the public domain.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
I appreciate these subjects, perfect for my Guadalcanal fixation. I hope they kit a Northampton class someday, speciafically CA-30 USS HOUSTON.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 10:39 AM UTC
Great review Chris!! Actually a pleasure to read! Sometimes I get the chance to click around and I came across a pic on the NavSource Online site :http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/035/04035.htm

This photo is for discussion purposes only!

I really no nothing about the ship other than the basic story behind here, but this appears to be a conduit added from her refit/repairs at Mare Island. Best guess some sort of electrical line from the aft section to the bow...possibly sonar related...again shooting at stars here! But it definitely belongs there as of at least July 10th, 1945 after the alterations. I would think if you wanted to, unless depicting her after this date, you could remove it unless photos before the Mare Island alterations show otherwise!

Looking forward to seeing you crack this one, looks like a fun build!!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Model Shipwrights: 306 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 05:46 AM UTC
So which is the better kit?
sargentx
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 11:47 AM UTC
Rumor has it that The Academy kit is far better. Just what I've heard.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC
Guys, it's a gas line. Aviation gas was stored forward and below on a lot of US ships. Check out sheet 1 of her Booklet of General Plans, note the hold level (plate 11 / middle sheet) has two tanks for gasoline forward. The gas line was run outside the hull in case it was damaged when full - better to have gas leak outside of the ship than inside! You can see similar lines on aircraft carriers and even Battleship Arizona (port side).

"Better" is subjective. The Academy kit is certainly more accurate, the Trumpeter hull is their now typical wild approximation. However, the Academy kit has a lot less slide-molded parts, leading to more joints, puttying and sanding, but also a lower price. So it entirely depends on where you put your values.

Don't care about accuracy and want an easier build? Trumpeter is your best choice. Don't want to lop off the rear third of the hull and rebuild from scratch? Then you'll find the Academy kit superior.
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
I was looking at the plans provided by Tracy...and it brings up a question. I'm sure I'm the only one that doesn't know the answer...
What is the purpose of the chain that goes from the top of the bow to the bottom of the bow? it is shown in the plan profile.
It seems to me it would just make a lot of turbulance and noise in the water...
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 06:13 AM UTC
Paravanes.
Turbulence was rather negligible, but I've seen photos of ships in drydock and you can sometimes see where the chains wore the paint from the hull
 _GOTOTOP