_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Israeli Navy Modeling Subjects?
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 10:59 PM UTC
I was wondering if anyone was aware of kits featuring Israeli Navy ships as the subjects.

Possible subjects could be the different Sa'ar class missile boats or the Dabur coastal defense boat.

Thanks in advance
LionsDen
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hello Bryan,

Did you have a specific scale or time period in mind?
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 06:29 AM UTC
I like 1/350 but I'm interested in any scale. And no specific timescale.
pria2022
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 05:58 PM UTC
It'd be neat to see a Saar 4.5 in 1/72nd!
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hello,

You could use a british Z-Class destroyer which was used during the 1950s, maybe an idea?

In general I interpret the chances as low too see Israeli naval vessels in a hurry. The reason is simple, the focus of the producers is mainly on the WW II period.

Modern ships received in the last years their chance but I would say that the minimum requirements are to be an aircraft carrier, destroyer or an air-defence frigate.

Cheers

rjleake
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC
Baxmod has just released a 1/72 Warrior class strike craft (ex Minister class. This essentially a Sa'ar 4. I have one and while it has some fantastic detail it also reminds me of a 1990's resin kit. There are huge resin blocks to deal with, numerous warped pieces, espcially the 4 piece deck. Now that could be due to the fact that it sat in customes for 2 weeks! I was warned ahead of time that the 4 piece deck would also require a "small" plastic plug. Baxmod also decided after finishing the master to switch to a vacu-form hull from the original fiberglass, which I would have preferred. Lots of parts with a little PE for the variuos antennas. I also decided to invest in a 3d printed 1/72 CWIS from Shapeways. This turned out to be a fantastic kit with great detail, down side very pricey! The CWIS is used on the bow of the Israeli Sa'ar 4 so my goal is to build it as Israeli not South African. It won't be perfect but close enough for me. Now I need to find some 1/72 harpoons!
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC
Hi Robert

Couple of 1/72 Harpoons listed here, I don't know if they are the right configuration for you

http://www.fleetscale.com/store/52-weapons
 _GOTOTOP