_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
My 1. naval build in many years: U-2322
SuperSandaas
Visit this Community
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 12:20 PM UTC
I usually build aircraft, but the occasional AFV sneaks bye. But a submarine? Well when I found ICMs kit of a Type XXIII in 1:144 scale for a bargain I had to pick it up.

After all, I built plenty of planes in this scale, so having this on the same glass shelf would be fun!

The kit is quite nice, but there is probably room for many improvements. If I ever build it again I would at least make a more convincing ladder! But this would be OOB.

The decals are very easily destroyed, so I made a flag out of a scrap piece of Revell-decal, and then added the kit decals and trimmed it. The swastikas was from a Kopro AM set of decals in 1:144 (many plane kits also come sans swastikas.)

I painted the kit with Citadel paints, and opted to follow the suggested "white" for the band on the sail signifying a boat in training. (I've also seen sources claiming it to have been yellow.)

The fun part was off course weathering. After all this was the chaotic last months of the war, and the official rules for painting and maintenance was not adhered to, paints was of poor quality, and the Norwegian winter is harsh!

U-2322 was one of only 6 Type XXIIIs to go on patrol before the VE-Day, and one of only 3 who managed two patrols. U-2322s home port was Horten, where my parents live actually. It sunk only one ship, the 1300 ton coastal cruiser SS Egholm off the East coast of Scotland on February 25. 1945.

U-2322 was turned over to the allies at the end of the war and was sunk as part of Operation Deadlight on november 27. 1945.

Thank you for having a look!
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 12:24 PM UTC
Very good Eirik !! Congratulations

Cheers Daniel
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi Eirik,

Looks great, Weathering is very effective, what methods did you use?

Si
SuperSandaas
Visit this Community
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Eirik,

Looks great, Weathering is very effective, what methods did you use?

Si

First I gave it a diluted wash of black to bring out the holes and recesses around the hatches. I theused some streaks of the base color mixed with white, and also used the same mix for a bit of drybrushing. This gave the faded and somewhat bloatchy look of the paint. For the rust I used umbral brown, red, a mix of red+black (any dark brick red would do) and dark yellow. In all cases acrylic with no thinning. I disposed a small quantity in recesses and then carefully streaked it out with a small flat brush, making sure the streaks followed what would be the natural flow of water.

I might have overdone it on some sections, but the main thing is that it looks a bit random, but still consectrated on areas where water would collect when sitting at the dockside. I also didn't use the rust colors in the same order at all locations (as some painting guides suggest.) Instead I sometimes used the lighter color before the darker, other places the other way around. I think that looks more natural, and gives you better control of the overall effect.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 08:59 AM UTC
Looks great, Erik.

Build any planes with floats, by chance?
SuperSandaas
Visit this Community
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great, Erik.

Build any planes with floats, by chance?

Not recently no, I built a couple of seaplanes in my "first career" as a kitbuilder back in the 80's. But I used to play Warhammer and WH40K so I learnt my distressing techniques with acrylics there. Now a days I still build some tanks and softskins in 1:48 so I get to use it there. Naval subjects on the other hand was a new experience. But 1:144 is a "cute" scale for planes and not to massive for smaller naval subject. (Small appartment, limited shelf space for displaying.. )
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
Ahoy Erik

Nice work on your first submarine.

I like the weathering.

I think you need to build another one asap!

Cheers

Sean
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:53 AM UTC
Eirik,

Nice sub!... and seeing that this is your first..well 3 posts now on MSW.

Welcome to the WET SIDE OF THINGS!

Cheers,
Joe
SuperSandaas
Visit this Community
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Erik

Nice work on your first submarine.

I like the weathering.

I think you need to build another one asap!

Cheers

Sean

Oh I think it won't be my last, but with 30+ kits in the stash all ready I think I'll "build up" some more before I do a new shopping spree
 _GOTOTOP