_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
LF Spares for Revell 1/720 HMS Ark Royal.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi,
picked up a Revell 1/720 HMS Ark Royal at the Sutton Coldfield model show over the weekend. Seemed a good bargain, seller only wanted a fiver as the box was battered and a carrier and destroyer combo was hard to resist. Gave everything a good checkover, seller was happy to do so, for before parting with cash and it all looked good.
Well, got home and had a second look and found that one of the main AA gun turrets was missing. Hard to miss at the time and to be honest, would've bought it if I'd known anyway.
I believe the guns in question are 4.5inch twin AA guns and are a totally different type of turret to any I can see on WEM. Not even sure if anyone would make any aftermarket stuff given the 'odd' scale.
If anyone has an old model in the spares box, or any useable parts they would be willing to part with I would be very grateful. I could also use a new set of instructions as those in the box are missing one or two pages.
Thanks
Stephen
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Those turrets are so simplified that I would suggest scratch building the missing turret.

Cheers,
Joe
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
If it comes to it I will have to scratch build one. Never hurts to ask and I'm going to hold out for the possibility of a spare or two.
It has problems but I'm building it OOB anyway.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If it comes to it I will have to scratch build one. Never hurts to ask and I'm going to hold out for the possibility of a spare or two.
It has problems but I'm building it OOB anyway.

Stephen,

I have a spare Revell Ark Royal turret you can have, and the instructions too. Send me your address and I'll pop them in the mail for you.

best of luck with your Ark,
Tim
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 08:12 AM UTC
Thanks Tim, PM inbound.

I had another look over it tonight and found that one of the destroyers turret halves, part 112, has also gone AWOL. Not sure what to do about that at the moment. I might have something that will replace it, and to brutally honest is little better than Airfix's earlier efforts at a Tribal. I also have Trumpeter's more recent offering nearing completion anyway.

Thanks for all the help.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Tim, PM inbound.

I had another look over it tonight and found that one of the destroyers turret halves, part 112, has also gone AWOL. Not sure what to do about that at the moment. I might have something that will replace it, and to brutally honest is little better than Airfix's earlier efforts at a Tribal. I also have Trumpeter's more recent offering nearing completion anyway.

Thanks for all the help.

No problem, Stephen. Can't help you with the DD part, but I mailed the Ark Royal turret and Revell instructions to you yesterday. That old Revell kit, despite its problems, is actually not all that bad.

Have fun with the build!

Tim

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 04:23 AM UTC
Cheers mate.
Like I said I'm not too fussed about that destroyer funnel at the moment. I have a better and more modern tooling nearing completion and a few bits and pieces from some old airfix ships in the spares that might come to the rescue.
As long as I can get the carrier done, that's the important thing.
Stephen
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
The gun turret and instructions arrived safely this morning.
Thanks Tim been a big help!
PM me your paypal details and I can send over the cost of the p&p to you.
Stephen
 _GOTOTOP