_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Prince of Wales Compass Platform
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi all,

Russ,

this as a quick follow up on our discussion on your fantastic King-build log. I first considered posting just one or two pictures as a reply, but searching to my old material I found that the compass platform was quite a major modifications and it would need some more pictures to show.
In order not to interfere too much with your great build log, here a small separate topic on it.

I am by no means sure if I got it right and there is for sure some creativity involved, but while in the Tamiya kit the compass platform appears like a sturdy and solid, almost armored piece, on the few photos of the original that I could find (most import and the mentioned one on p. 109 of Tarrant's KGV book) it appears like and open to air, possibly even canvas covered area.

So here's my approach to it:

First some surgery to the kit's part.

A new deck had to be inserted to resemble the actual compass platform.

The kit's part resembling the roof was 'thinned' by grinding, some stanchion added.

Probably that one would be worth scratch building entirely, but I was not up to it then...

Now comes a part that certainly is 'creativity' on my part - I added Veteran Model's resin parts which are DKM Fire Control and Observation equipment. I doubt anybody can tell the difference in 1/350...and to me, it looks better than the bare poles from the Tamiya kit.

That's the result - not quite canvas-cover jet, but looking 'lighter' than the original kit.

Here as installed and painted:

That's a couple years back...today I would try to get it even more 'airy'...

Cheers,
Jan

_GOTOTOP