_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Propeller color
burbankbill
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hello;
Does anyone have a color that they use on there propellers. I know they are supposed to be bronze color but in the past I have just painted them brass. On my current build I would like to find a good Bronze color.

Bill
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 09:57 AM UTC
Try Vallejo Model Color 70.998 Bronze. I like to add one drop of copper to it to bring out the reddish a bit.

EJ
smithrp
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 10:39 AM UTC
Hi Bill: Understand that on a real ship the props oxidize underwater. They turn a blackish/brass color. The best way to depict these is to buy the G-factor brass props, detail them, and dip them in blackening solution until you get the desired color. It does not take long. Just a couple of dips and you are there with the exact color. They should be a flat blackish color with just a hint of brass showing. This is a color that is impossible to create with paint. Any brass or bronze color you would paint the props will have a metallic finish. Real brass props do not have a metallic appearance. Hope this has been a help.
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 07:15 PM UTC
I would go with bronze followed by pin washes of green, yellow, brown and white.

Kev
burbankbill
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 04:20 AM UTC
I didnt like the Vallejo Model Color 70.998 Bronze so I got some Tamiya Bronze which looks a bit redder. I think thats going to work for me.

Bill
 _GOTOTOP