_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
1:350 Dragon Benson DD-421
robertdlipp
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hello, have just purchased the Dragon Benson DD-421 (1940) and am in need of help (lots of it). This is my first attempt at 1:350 scale modelling. I plan to build her OOTB and in the 1940 configuration.
My 1st question relates to sequence of build: do I follow the general sub-steps supplied with the kit or is there a better method of construction? My instinct tells me to do the hull first, mount it on a solid work stand and then make certain that the main deck fits on the hull. If there are better approaches, I'd like to know now rather than make early fatal mistakes!!! Have read that this can be a possibility with Dragon instructions (also am aware of the dreaded "carpet monster" from other modelling efforts).
Thanks for any help for this build.

Robert
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

build order is basically horses for courses. I tend to build the hull first and paint it, then build and pain the sub assemblies separately and add them as I go along. That gives me a stable base to work on, and not too many fragile sub assemblies laying around loose, and cuts down on masking.

If you flick through the builds on this site, you will find others do things in a different order.

Enjoy the Benson, I have it my stash, looks very good indeed.

cheers.

Si
 _GOTOTOP