_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Anchors
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
Did U-boats have anchors, and if so, how big were they? I am building a 1:150 scale uboat and it did not come with an anchor, so I wanted to make one. I went to the local craft store and found some goofy anchors, but I think that may be too big. Anyone have any ideas on what I could use and/or how big a 1:150 scale u-boat anchor would be? Thanks everyone
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hmmm, good question ! I dont know much about submarines, but I would think that the anchor of a sub would be enclosed inside of a door or shutter of some type. Interesting indeed! Any sub experts out there have a clue ?

Cheers,
Garry
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Not an expert here either, but I would have to say that the U-Boats didn't have an Anchor. Any picture that I have seen of U-Boats They were tied up to the moorings with ropes. Thinking about the question though has got me curious also.
I can't see why a U-Boat would need or want to have an Anchor. It would be an extra noise source, hinder the ability to submerge quickly when needed , and have anothere hole in the hull that would have to be water tightened.
As stated before I am no expert and could be wrong here but now I have the urge to research this one.
Paul
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:41 AM UTC
I also don't know the answer but my best quess is also no. You might try www.uboat.net If they don't have it there you should be able to ask somebody there who'll know.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also don't know the answer but my best quess is also no. You might try www.uboat.net If they don't have it there you should be able to ask somebody there who'll know.

Yep thar she blows! checked out the Uboat net, and Yes they had Anchors!
Go there gallery and check out there prserved musium subs. # 554 and # 934?
It shows the anchore onthe right, port? side. Looks different then most ships anchors.

Cheers,
Garry
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It shows the anchore onthe right, port? side.

The port side in on the left, while starboard is on the right. The easiest way to remember is by the number of letters in each word. Left and Port have the fewest, Starboard and Right have the most.
 _GOTOTOP