_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Solid, Pancake, or Planked Hull
jaybeckham
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 03:00 PM UTC
I am building a ¼” (1:48) model of the SS District of Columbia a Steam Packet. It is to be a Waterline model. It has this type of hull. This is the City of Norfolk but is very much like the District of Columbia.

Photo is in my gallery.

I have drawing but no hull lines as such. I do have a drawing showing 20 or so cross section of a total of 126 frames. Most of the frames in the middle of the ship are the same. And most of the drawings I have shown the bow and stern sections. I also have drawings of each deck and an elevation drawing. Very few photos exist of this ship and I was lucky to find a set of drawings.

Keeping in mind this is a waterline model and is 6 feet long and 13 inches wide, I have to decide how to build the hull. At the waterline is the lower deck. I have a drawing of it also. And the main deck. I can maybe guess at the hull sections I don’t have using the ones I do have. Considering the size of the ship mode I can’t decide on solid carved hull, pancake hull which still need carving, or plank over bulwarks using the 20 or so hull sections I have. Also 1/8” plywood for planking? Or even a styrene sheets?

I need some suggestions on how to approach this large project. I do have a book showing how someone built a ¼” model of the Titanic. It may be helpful but it is a full hull model. Also keep in mind this ship was basically all wood.

Thanks so much.

I can post the sectional drawing on my blog if anyone wants to see it.

Jay Beckham
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 04:28 PM UTC
heree is your image

I would go with the plank method as it will allow you to display any internal detail you wish.
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi Jay

From the information you have given I would go with plank on frame.

Kev
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 427 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 11:39 PM UTC
I would also do plank on frame it requires much less finishing work than the other 2 methods,I may be a bit bias as it is my favorite method.
jaybeckham
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:41 AM UTC
I want to thank the three members that replied to my question. Based on the scale and size of this model and my relative inexperience, what material would you suggest for the planks? For the frames/bulwark I found some nice white pine 3/16" x 4 x 36 at the local big box store. Very clear and should easy to cut on a band saw and then sand to exact curves of the hull.

Plank material could be model airplane 1/8" plywood or I could rip some clear pine into strips. Any other ideas?

BTW my last name is Beckham. Back in 1730 or so my people came over here from the UK to Virginia. I have been trying to find out what ship they came on so I could model it but the Union army during out civil war burned Richmond the capital of Virginia. Are there any sources of such records in the UK? I do have the gentleman's full name and birth date and other information.

Thanks

Jay
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi Jay,

Based on the width of your hull at 13" your going to have to join your 3/16 x 4" material. An easier route would be to use 1/4" ply and cut your frame out as one piece.

1/8 ply for planking I feel might be a bit skinny. unless your a master builder your going to be sanding to get a true smooth finish which is going to weaken the ply due to the laminations. 1/8 pine would be better. You indicate that for part of her length the sides are parallel you could use sheet ply in this area.

72" divided by 126 frames indicates something less than 1/2" between frames, probably over the top to form the shape and certainly unnecessary where you have paralell sides, 2" spacing should be ok.

I would recommend a solid plank on the bottom of at least 1/2" thick to fix your frames to. The board to be screwed to a FLAT building board during building to stop the hull twisting. Don't forget to make sure you can get at the screws on completion

Kev
bushman
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 11:59 AM UTC
I am actually going to suggest the bread and butter method. I think this would be the easiest way of obtaining the unusual shape of the hull. If you use basswood for the lifts shaping the hull won't be difficult.
Ron W.
 _GOTOTOP