_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Water Material
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey All,

I am looking for some suggestions from ya'll regarding the best material to use for re-creating water. My concept for the diorama is USS Darter engaging the IJN Maya. What I would like to do is show the Darter submerged and firing their torpedoes towards the IJN Maya. I tested medium acrylic gel but so far it is appearing opaque. What I am looking for is a material that will allow me to tint the water but remain clear and submerge the Darter.

I was thinking epoxy but I have not worked with it so I am not sure if it will work. I do believe that epoxy emits heat as it cures so the other concern is the heat affecting the model.

The model I will be using to replicate the Darter is a Yankee Model Works resin kit with PE and white metal parts.

Is there another medium I could use to replicate this portion of the dio which would allow the observer to still see the submarine submerged?

thanks for your suggestions.

Dave
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
Two-part resin does indeed generate heat as it cures. It should be poured in several layers, each no more than about 1/8" deep. You must allow enough time between pours for each layer to harden. Another option is a clear acrylic box with a piece of textured acrylic for the top to simulate water's surface. you cut an outline of the ship in the 'surface' and place the ship into it. You use acrylic gel medium to seal any gaps. You could suspend the sub below the surface via the periscope. Al
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
Hi David,

I tend to agree with Al regarding the box suggestion for large dioramas. Here are some relatively recent links on the subject which might prove helpful. The second explains in depth (pardon the pun) how a pour can go terribly wrong.

Water...Going Deep

A Dragon Wagon odyssey

Good luck with your project!

—mike
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

thanks for your input. I must say i was afraid you were going to say that there really is no medium that would accomplish what I was looking to do, at least not without risk of destroying my work.

Guess i will take a good hard look at the method of using a clear box to replicate the sea so you can observe the submarine.

thanks again for your help.

Dave
 _GOTOTOP