_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Battle of Leyte Gulf Campaign - 1/350 Mogami
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I have a 1/350 scale Heavy Cruiser Mogami that has been a shelf queen for over a year. I hope my participation in this campaign help in finally completing this fine model. I have the Tamiya Aircraft Carrying Version plus the Lion Roar photoetch upgrade as well as figures from North Star Models. Aside from assembling the hull, I have not progressed much. So, here's to hopefully finishing it. Here are the photos of my kit and the upgrades.

BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Here’s a small progress update. Upon reviewing the instruction sheets from both Tamiya and Lion Roar, I noted that the flight deck option for Lion Roar consisted of three pieces: two brass sheets which will sandwich a plastic sheet for support.

As I visualized how to tackle the assembly of the Lion Roar flight deck, I noted that I will have to glue a number of tiny bracings for the underside. After which I will cut pieces of rods and glue them for support.

The more I thought about it, the more I am realizing that this is a lot of work for something that will barely be visible. Here is a photo of the Lion Roar and Tamiya parts.

Though the Lion Roar would undoubtedly look a lot better, I foresaw lots of man hours of gluing (and probably frustration) each of the brace. Also, since Lion Roar didn't provide any measurement for the rods, I would end up guestimating the length. After cutting the rods, I will also guestimate the location where these will be glued. The instruction diagram makes it look like it is all going to fall into place like magic.

I decided to take an alternate route. I figured if the Tamiya engineers thought the detail was good enough, I will go along with them. I will forgo both the plastic and the bottom sheets and just use the Tamiya part. Here’s how the part looked straight from the box.

The brass deck was designed to be glued on a flat plastic sheet. I went ahead and removed the molded details from the Tamiya part, which resulted to this:

And here it is dry fitted to the stern, plus the second photo with Lion Roar deck also dry fitted.

That's all for now. Till the next update.

Thanks,

Joseph
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC
Joe, your Mogami is looking good. Can't wait to see more as she develops.
Out of curiosity, was there any option of using the Tamiya piece on conjunction with the lower Lion Roar brass?

Dave
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much. Nope, there was not an option to use Lion Roar brass in conjunction with the Tamiya part. I saw a build log at Ship Model Forum using the same sets, he went ahead and used the Lion Roar parts.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=48997

I can tell you that he is a better man than me. I'm really hoping I can finish this project, that's why I created a separate thread. That way, I can somehow egg myself on. Again, thanks for your comment.

Joseph
 _GOTOTOP