_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1st Annual Boxing day (late) trivia contest
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC
Question #2 was the USS Stewart which had been salvaged by the Japanese in WII but was recovered by the US following the war. She was nicknamed "RAMP", which stood for "Recovered Allied Military Personnel", because the US had counted her as a loss and had given her original name to another ship.

Great story! Check out this link:

http://www.magweb.com/sample/ww2/ns11phan.htm

Todd
foxroe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC
Question #4 is the I-26, which in 1942 off the coast of Astoria, Oregon, was the only enemy ship to shell the US mainland during the war (9 shells, no damage)

Wasting time at work again,
Todd
foxroe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:38 AM UTC
OH, OH! Another one! Question #9 is the Potsdam , Gneisenau , Europa and the Seydlitz.

Todd
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:30 AM UTC
Somebody, Foxroe, has been eating his Weaties. Either that or brain food. Yes, #8 is "suspected slaver." I don't have the details in front of me but it involved the light crusier Omaha and a couple of destroyers. They stopped a US merchantman, they thought, and found out it was actually a disquised German. Because this was in the "short of war" period they couldn't take her as a raider so they dreamed up "suspected slaver."

#2 is indeed the Stewart. When they brought her back into the navy, temporaily, they renamed her by her hull number, which I can't remember right now, so at least she got her number back.

#4 I'm at work and I'm not sure if it's the I26 I was thinking of but this is close enough. What I was thinking about though is how the I boat bombed the US, the only time we've ever been bombed in the US. Pearl Harbor and Attu/Kiska don't count since they were territories at the time. This is the basis for the movie 1942, though in a hardly recognizable form.

#9, no, sorry. The two I was thinking of were sister ships, and not ones you would normally think of for conversion.

Good job Foxroe.

foxroe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:23 AM UTC
Not Wheaties. Caffeine. Lots of Caffeine.

Todd
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:48 AM UTC
For the record I'm showing Questions 1, 6, 9, 10, 13, and the bonus question still up for grabs.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC

O.K.........this time I swear to you I was originally going to say 'Slave trading' to question #8! But, the reason I was going to say it was because of your Historical reference's HalfYank, not because I actually knew the answer.
The reason I 'edited' my original answer out was because I felt it was 'politically incorrect'.
So, even though I didn't answer when I should have, that means I would have at least gotten ONE of the answers right!.......wouldn't it?.............throw me a bone

Just kiddin' guys.........I am both impressed with your quiz HalfYank, and even more impressed with those who can actually figure out the answers!!

Regards,

Tread.
foxroe
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:48 AM UTC
These last few questions are killing me! Just thought I'd post just to bring the forum back up to the first page from the fifth.

Still looking,
Todd
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
I was wondering if anybody else was still working on these. I was going to give everybody until the end of the month, unless everybody wants the answers sooner. Let me know folks.

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

#2 is indeed the Stewart. When they brought her back into the navy, temporaily, they renamed her by her hull number, which I can't remember right now, so at least she got her number back.

I believe she was DD-224. Foe whatever reason, that bit of minutiae stuck in my mind.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 08:19 AM UTC
OK, I think with my dad's help, I have #1. The HMS Nelson laid up on Lady Hamilton Shoals.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
OK, thanks to dad for #4...I-17 shelling the Ellwood Oil Fields in California in 1942.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
10. the Chilean Battleship Almirante Latorre. The US tried unsuccessfully to buy her and some tincans from Chile to shore up the Pacific Fleet after Pearl Harbor.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
Looks like M60A3 has been doing some homework.

#1, yes it was the battleship Nelson and the Hamilton shoals. For those of you who don't the story Admiral Lord Nelson had a scandalous affair with Lady Hamiltion. They produced a daughter from the affair, Horathia. Lawrence Olivier and Vivien Leigh protrayed the two in a movie, That Hamilton Woman, and two other Brit actors also played them in another movie. This is one I didn't think anybody would get.

#4, I can't confirm this one. The incident I was thinking of occurred in the Pacifi Northwest, off the coast of Oregon. I found one reference to Ellwood oil filed being shelled but it was in a Army unit history and the army can't always tell about naval matters. If it was then this would go down as a huge coincidence. Dan Ackroyd played in the movie 1941, which was VERY loosely based on the bombing incident. Ackroyd plaed one of the Blues Brothers. Wasn't his character Ellwood? Hmmm...

#10, yes Almirante Latorre is the one I was thinking of. The Latorre was originally being built for Chille in WWI. She was seized by the Royal Navy and renamed Canada. As Canada she fought at Jutland. After the war she went back to Chille. He sister, Admirante Cochrane was converted into the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle. Chille has a reputation of keeping their ships in excellent order. After the battleship losses at Pearl there was talk of either buying or trading for her. Nothing came of it. At the same time there was talk about trading some cruisers and destroyers for the HMS Duke of York. Wouldn't THAT have been something.

Ok, so that now just leaves us numers 6, 9, 13, and the bonus. I'll give everybody until Saturday night then post the answers on Sunday.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
Thanks, but I am not taking too much credit. My dad did most of the work (without using any references...he says it's cheating...)
I have one possible for number 6. It's the Audace, originally built for Japan in 1915, bought off the ways by Italy, and commandeered by the Germans in '44.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 05:37 AM UTC
Just reviving the thread...can't wait for the rest of the answers!
 _GOTOTOP