_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Revell 1:144 type VII C/41 build
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Model Shipwrights: 81 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 - 01:06 PM UTC
Constructive criticism please? http://s852.photobucket.com/user/AOE4/slideshow/Revell%20U%20boat
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 - 01:24 PM UTC
Nice product the deck was quite difficult to secure to the hull.Looking from the side of the model I wanted the deck to be flush with the hull, did a good job? No weathering here, just looking for a clean build. I drilled the deck and inserted cut off sewing needle eyes to simulate the steel cable eyes welded to the deck. Looking for perfection here as I spent some time as a boatswains mate in the USN my goal is to find something to replicate the egg shaped insulators on the antennae cables.Think I found something at the local bead shop to replicate the item. They are very small bead crimps.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 - 07:26 PM UTC
Hi David,

Looking very good so far....nice job on the deck....and the sewing needle eyelets, to secure the cable, great idea.

I personally would suggest you to paint the outer edge of the tower platforms the same color as the tower sides as
in the pics they seem to be a darker grey....leave only the horizontal surface of the platforms, dark grey.

The cripping beads could work. You can also try building up tiny bulbs of white glue and then painting them.

You may also want to look at 15/0 beads...they are very tiny and could play the part well.

Cheers,
Joe
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC
I am airbrushing the tower today, light grey on the interior and painting as per revell paint guide. Lots of masking and detailing thanks for the post The flags you emailed me made for an impressive replica....thanks.
 _GOTOTOP