_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
U-214 Revell 1/144
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi here is my first post in Kitmakers "Navy Department" and its the first finished ship model since a long time.
It was build out of the box with some help of copper wire (8,8cm gun)a steel needle (the 20mm Flak barrel) Stretched sprues (Antennas /8,8cm gun) and Ez line (antennas) The isolators were done with drops of wood glue.

I hope you like it, comments/critique, feedback in any form, highly appreciated

Best Regards
Bernd
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
Guten tag Bernd,

Your U boot is very nice! The extra detail you have added makes it a much better model.

Since you ask for comments, I will point out some details to help improve this boat.

The red running light on the conning tower should be on the port side of the tower and the green on the starboard...just reverse them.

Your sägefisch decals don't seem to have settled properly....did you gloss first
before applying. Try going back with some decal setting solution to soften them
and help them set.

You can try a pin wash around details like rivets and tower doors and handrails to bring out the fine details
of this model....a variation of rust and dark brown/gray washes to add depth.

All in all, what you have done is still a very nice model.

Have a great day...
Cheers,
Joe
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guten tag Bernd,

Your U boot is very nice! The extra detail you have added makes it a much better model.

Since you ask for comments, I will point out some details to help improve this boat.

The red running light on the conning tower should be on the port side of the tower and the green on the starboard...just reverse them.

Your sägefisch decals don't seem to have settled properly....did you gloss first
before applying. Try going back with some decal setting solution to soften them
and help them set.

You can try a pin wash around details like rivets and tower doors and handrails to bring out the fine details
of this model....a variation of rust and dark brown/gray washes to add depth.

All in all, what you have done is still a very nice model.

Have a great day...
Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe, thank you for your reply. Thats typical. that i have reversed left and right
The decal was applied over a coat of clear and was "rugged" enought to withstand my decal solution and my thumb !
If you need something to stiff up your build go with these decals.
Weathering was done with a dark acrylic wash and a slight overspray of a rust color, here some pictures during the weathering process:

After this a heavy dry brushing session followed, maybe i should use more weathering products on my future builds.
I am more an aircraft guy.
Here are some pics of another project.
Trumpeter H.M.S Hood 1/350 with pe from Eduard, detail set from Trumpeter and new turrets from WEM and a Pontos woode deck. May the force is with me.

Thank you very much for viewing and commenting, very appreciated

Cheers
Bernd
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hello Bernd,

Very nice HOOD!....those wood decks really do add that extra touch.
Looking forward to more pics on the Hood.

And by the way, any link to your online shop?

Cheers,
Joe
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Bernd,

Very nice HOOD!....those wood decks really do add that extra touch.
Looking forward to more pics on the Hood.

And by the way, any link to your online shop?

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe, thanks again, it was my first try with a wooden deck and the first try to super detail a 1/350 warship, i bought the kit, when it came out, started it in 2009, after i had glued the basic hull together, i noticed, that Trumpeters compromise for waterliners and full hull fans had its shortcomings.
To fill and sand the seam around the waterline took a while, it stalled shortly after this and was started again, with more detail sets and from this point i am working on it in a loose order, currently i am still busy to fill and sand the pin markers on the ammunition lockers and detail them with the pe parts, its all the time stored in our cupboard in the living room, i guess not many people has a Hood in their bar

The folks, that build the real Hood were actually faster !

Thank you for mention my shop, currently i have not much naval stuff in stock, but everything from the Trumpeter/Hobbyboss/Eduard/MRC/Mirco Mir/Mirage Hobby/AFV-Club can be ordered.
Shipping is worldwide and i try to get for oversea customers the cheapest possible shipping method, just call me, thats also the reason why there is no fixed shipping cost infos in my shop, if you ordering proceed untill the payment/Paypal
portal, we send you the correct bill with the correct shipping.
The reason why i wrote all this, is because customers had problems to order, but after all they were very satisfied.
Here is the link:
http://www.berndmm.de/en/

Happy Modelling and Best Regards
Bernd
 _GOTOTOP