_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Related
Site related feedback, issues, or suggestions.
Posting pictures
burbankbill
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 05:55 AM UTC
Why is it so hard to figure out how to post pictures

Bill
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why is it so hard to figure out how to post pictures

Bill

Hi, Bill. It's actually not that tough once you know the procedure. I see you've actually uploaded your Varyag photo to the gallery, so I guess your real issue is with embedding the photo in your post. Check out Darren's excellent tutorial on adding photos to your forum posts here.

One of the tricky things it took me awhile to figure out is that Kitmaker Gallery will log you out much more frequently than Kitmaker Network, so you always need to check to make sure you are logged into the Gallery before you can upload any photos.

Good luck!

HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 137 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 04:13 AM UTC
Just wanted to add: the unique and overly complicated picture posting method required by this website has discouraged me from posting my 1/350 Akagi buildlog here. No big loss to the website I'm sure...but if MANY others feel the same as I do, I wonder how much material is not getting posted here as a result of the difficult pic posting procedures? And it is entirely unnecessary....its too bad because otherwise this site is fabulous.

rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 05:36 AM UTC
Tim

Your Akagi looks great. Would like to see more pictures

Dave
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 06:21 AM UTC
what is overly complicated about it.

Its a simple 2 step process..

Step 1: put your photo somewhere on the internet..

Step 2: Look to the bottom of your dialog box for the commands and click the one that says img in the brackets..

img]http://put.url.here/image.file[/img

you get the above I took off the beginning and ending brackets so it will show up.. put your photos web address in the location between the brackets.. hit submit and you photo is posted..

here is an example again without some brackets

img]http://www.delbertsscalemodels.com/images/webcotent/modelguides/digitalcamera/photo1.jpg[/img

and here is the what it would look like for posting..

hope this helps..

Delbert

HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 03:48 PM UTC
Thanks Delbert, but thats exactly what I did to post those pics above (except I typed in the "[i m g]" and "[/ i m g ]". Also, if you use photobucket like I do, you must remember to use the "direct link" versus the "[i m g]" link that the other websites use.
My point is....the pic posting procedures here are rather unique and can lead to confusion for neophytes and could easily result in a lowered number of postings. Having a 2 step process is one process too many these days when the other sites do not have this requirement.

Couple more pics of my on-going Akagi build (thx for the request David!! I will pm you the addy for my complete buildlog, posted elsewhere)

Stern underdeck support:

closeup:

pic of all of the underdeck supports, trams and columns done

Above placed on underneath of deck parts to check for fit.

closeup (in the above pic, its the right hand end of the top part}:

closeup of bow support as below:

Bow underdeck support:

Cheers, Tim
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 04:35 PM UTC
Mind-boggling! Is any of that even visible when it's all assembled?

rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 06:08 PM UTC
Tim

Incredible work and very clean. Your PE work is inspiring. Please do send me the link to the full build. The Akagi is on my dream list but I need to improve my skills before I tackle something like that

Beautiful work

Dave
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 07:08 PM UTC
First - Tim, this is absolutely stunning work!!! Just WOW

Second, on the original topic - I am using photobucket, and you're loosing me with your explanations Of course the #img#-setting works, just hit it after you choose `share link` menu. It says `copied` immediately, and this copied line you simply paste into the MSW typing field, and you're done

Jan
Removed by original poster on 02/08/15 - 08:28:11 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 02/08/15 - 08:30:02 (GMT).
HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 01:56 PM UTC
test test test test test test

edit #3

propping up one particularily stubborn support while glue sets:

keeping track of some small rear deck parts while painting (corresponding part numbers written on tape below)

support towers for the area painted

installing some of the parts from above

test test
edit #3

There we go!!!

I will post my buildlog here now that I've gotten things figured out on posting on this site. Thx for your input and patience. -Tim
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hi Tim,

Sorry to see you were having an issue with posting the pics...seems you have things figured out judging from the enormity of pics you posted here. I look forward to you hopefully starting a new thread for you Akagi soon.

As for picture posting, the process is not too bad to get up to speed on and becomes easier after time. The posting runs using a BB-Code. This is that system of brackets and code to allow things to be posted. Not to waste too much time on that, this is a quick and easy way to upload pictures from pretty much any online photo storage site.

You need to copy the Direct Link URL which is the link with just the http:// in front of it.

I used Photbucket as an example here because they actually call the correct URL to copy a “Direct Link”. When using other online photo storage sites there should be similar links to copy or as I do through Google, I right click on the image I want to post and click “Copy Image Location” from the drop down menu.

Here are two options of what you can do next:

1 – Type the image brackets yourself and paste your picture’s URL in between.

2 – Click the IMG bracket Icon located here…

This will add the code to the edit box for you as seen here…

Highlight the text in between the brackets…….

And then, simply paste you picture’s direct link into this space.

You need to make sure there are NO spaces between the bracket and your link. I there is a space the picture will not be able to post and only the image's link will appear in it's place.

Yes, there are other systems that allow you to simply click on the “IMG Code” from photbucket and paste and your done…this is not one of them obviously. To learn more about using the BB-Code system you can click on the BB-CODE HELP link below your editing box when you go to add a post. There is a decent explanation on how to use the code.

Hope this helped some!
HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:22 AM UTC
Thanks Todd!...but thats why I posted above "I will post my buildlog here now that I've gotten things figured out on posting on this site."
It IS a little different than most sites. It seems most other sites don't use BB-CODE anymore? I don't know really, it just seems more combersome...and may put off new posters. I'm more stubborn, but many may not be as much as I...my main point.

Many thanks for your input and explanation. Appreciated! -Tim
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:54 AM UTC
Tim,

You are most welcome! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask and I will try and answer them for you!

As for the BB-Code not being used so much, that could be possible. I do know a lot, if not most still allow the user to determine which system they would like to use. Best guess without actually digging further is it has something to do with how diverse and widespread KitMaker is. The code to run all this is probably much easier to work with. Good question though.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the build!! I really enjoyed watching you bang out the Yamato and Nagato back a few years ago!!
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:31 AM UTC
Tim

Glad to hear you are going to continue posting your builds here. Would love to see more of your work

Dave
dinosaur
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:47 PM UTC
Is it possible to load photos from a phone?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hey John,

Not directly from the phone to the site. But you can upload picture from your phone to somewhere like Google Picsa or other various pic storage sites and then you should be able to copy the URL from there and post it.
HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi again Todd! Sorry to bother you again but is there a pm system here...I would have sent you this request via that, but here's ok too I hope.
Can you or a mod change my nickname (callsign) to my real name? thx! -Tim
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi Tim, Yes, there is a PM system. If you look right below my header, there should be an icon that read "Message". Click on it and you can send a PM.

As for changing the Call sign...not sure. I actually looked in mine and could not see it. This might be a god question for the guru himself. I can see what I can dig up!
 _GOTOTOP