_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
Trumpeter 1/350 Saratoga
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 11:13 PM UTC
Greetings:
I have posted to the air side of the house but this is my first time on the ship side. I have always been interested in aviation, Naval aviation in particular including the ships that take planes to faraway places, this especially includes the early carriers. When Trumpeter fist issued this kit, I was thrilled, but then I got it, lost interest due to the bad press and sold it. Lately, the interest has been piqued and I thought I would build one, just to test my shipbuilding chops. I approached the build to do an OOB build, detail areas lacking, not get wrapped around the axle with accuracy issues as I didn't want to get bogged down with the build. Here it is folks:

The aircraft are the Trumpeter 1/350 suitable for the era. I used the "Starfighter" decals and Gold Medal Models PE Specifically for the Saratoga Airwing for the aircraft and the "Fighting Cock" on the stack. I don't think the rooster appeared for long on the stack, but I liked it, it came with the decals and I used it.

The Photo Etch I used is from Loren Perry's Gold Medal Models for the Saratoga.

I did use the Stern book for reference but mainly for adding details, as mentioned I didn't want to get bogged down with scratchbuilding the flag plot and other details. I know there was a machine gun tub on the number two and three turrets, but again, my scratch building skills, or lack thereof precluded me from adding these.

The "SARA" on the aft end of the fight is also from the Starfighter decal sheet.

I added ladders, vent tubes, platforms and a davit to the stack to busy it up a bit.

I used EZline for rigging and Bob's Buckles Eyelets for securing points. I used drops Testors canopy glue for the insulators. I wanted to show rigging, but I didn't want to overload it with rigging either in an effort to keep it fairly tidy.

The F3F's in 1/350 are a real bugger to align, and some on the flight deck appear to have flat tires.
I enjoyed the build, fit problems notwithstanding. I used a lot of red body putty to blend in the lower hull with the upper hull. I added some detail to the boat pockets which is all but invisible due to the presence of boats.
I used Testors Model Master Light Ghost Grey and a mix of Tamiya Red, brown and yellow for the flight deck and another mixture of Tamiya Hull Red and Red for the hull. I just eyeballed it until it had the look.
I hope you like it.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC
Very nice,those bi-planes really make it.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 11:54 PM UTC
Really nice build Mark, I really like the look of the Sara with the pre war yellow wings.

I'm so undecided I want to add either a Sara or Lex to my collection but can't make up my mind which I prefer. I'll look at a build like your's and decide build a Sara then I'll see a Lex build a decide no I'll build a Lex, wish I could do both but don't have the room.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 12:58 AM UTC
Great job on the Sara Mark!! She's a beauty! You should be proud! You had a little of the best of both worlds on this one...floaty and wingy!! Hope you decide to have another go at some ships in the future!!
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 01:54 AM UTC
Thanks Guys for checking it out and your compliments.
@Lucianno: That's a tough call. I like the pre-wwii look of the carriers with their yellow winged a/c. If you were going to do a Lexington in that configuration, you would have a lot of work ahead of you.
Thanks again

ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 02:19 AM UTC
From an old Bird Farm sailor - "WELL DONE".

EJ
ChrisJohnson
KitMaker: 65 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 03:13 AM UTC
While I'm not a ship modeler, I've had the pleasure to follow along as you built your Saratoga. She's a real beauty my friend, and definitely one to be proud of. Those Yellow Wing biplanes sure look the business and I still marvel at how you executed them in such small scale. Well done! I'm looking forward to following along on your Arizona.

Cheers,

Chris
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 05:08 AM UTC
Thanks EJ and Chris:

Duly appreciated.

Chris, good to see you on this forum. I hang here on occasion, some good motivation.

Until that time
 _GOTOTOP