_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
HMS Zulu Destroyer 1941
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:20 AM UTC
Todd Michalak takes a look at Trumpeter’s 1/350th Scale HMS Zulu Destroyer 1941.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:45 AM UTC
I don't think I'd have noticed the launches or the pom poms. Nice work, Todd - great research.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:24 PM UTC
Todd thank you for the review however the 4" twin is more than a barrel change the whole turret is completely different, it's smaller, has a bigger cut away and under cut on the back and a different profile. I was luck enough to get the replacements from WEM before they folded let's hope Tom's gets them out again. WEM also did the quad 2pdr and quad 0.50 Vickers.

As for the bow it's a fairly easy fix (I'm doing it so it must be) again WEM spotted the problem and included the how to fix in their upgrade set. Here's my Eskimo several months ago with the 'fix' in progress.

Now I know what's wrong and how to fix I went out and brought the Huron and Zulu although Zulu will be converted into HMAS Arunta while Eskimo has been back dated to a 1940 fit complete with twin Lewis in the bridge wings.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:00 PM UTC
Thanks Fred! I do think one could get away with using the whalers possibly, as they do look close to something used on various ships. The POM PSM's are one of the bigger issues. Just poor research on the part of the company actually designing and producing these kits which end up privately labeled to numerous kit companies...Trumpeter being one.

Thank you Luciano! I don't agree with you on the casemate for the 4 inch as well as the 44.7 inch guns, it appears to me the kit designers loosely took to HMCS Haida's and matched them to something they had on file from maybe and early version of the turrets. What I meant by barrel replacement is it would be the the best way to enhance the kit, not necessarily correct it. It is a shame the WEM offering won't be available. Make me want to hold out hope for someone to come in and pick up on the parts. As I mentioned, the Flyhawk version is unbelievably easy to switch over to a plausible version of the quad.

While I feel the Vickers does not apply to the Zulu judging from the limited photographic evidence of this ship, I do think they are a crucial part in any conversion someone wants to take on.

As for the bow, you are making fine strides to correct the problem. Personally I would have though adding the 2 mm or so rise would be done with styrene card stock and fared back in, but certainly raising the deck and filling works just as well. I just think it more disappointing that Trumpeter did not contact the maker (Pitroad if I remember correctly) and have them change the bow. Until then...happy filling for all!!
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Luciano! I don't agree with you on the casemate for the 4 inch as well as the 44.7 inch guns, it appears to me the kit designers loosely took to HMCS Haida's and matched them to something they had on file from maybe and early version of the turrets. What I meant by barrel replacement is it would be the the best way to enhance the kit, not necessarily correct it. It is a shame the WEM offering won't be available. Make me want to hold out hope for someone to come in and pick up on the parts. As I mentioned, the Flyhawk version is unbelievably easy to switch over to a plausible version of the quad.

While I feel the Vickers does not apply to the Zulu judging from the limited photographic evidence of this ship, I do think they are a crucial part in any conversion someone wants to take on.

As for the bow, you are making fine strides to correct the problem. Personally I would have though adding the 2 mm or so rise would be done with styrene card stock and fared back in, but certainly raising the deck and filling works just as well. I just think it more disappointing that Trumpeter did not contact the maker (Pitroad if I remember correctly) and have them change the bow. Until then...happy filling for all!!

Todd, HMCS Haida only has twin 4" guns her 4.7's being removed and the for'ard pair replaced by 4" in a post war refit. The difference between the 4" and 4.7" mounts can easily be seen on the photo of HMAS Arunta below

X mount has the 4" and Y the 4.7"

As for the deck raise it has been filled with card stock then a layer of filler to fill any remaining holes and rough spots.

As for WEM, Tom's Modelworks brought all the remaining stock along with the name and the rights to produce, they have announced that we should see the WEM range back on sale this year.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:44 PM UTC
Thanks again Luciano, I guess what I am saying is the taking of the "basic" design features of the existing gun mounts on the Haida, because she is the only existing reference point, may have been used along with various pictures, mashing them together to create the guns. Unfortunately there are differences between the British, Canadian and Australian versions aside from refitting and kit manufactures just don't dig too deep to pull the information out. And we all know they do not listen to the builders crying out for fixes.

Thanks for the addition information on the various fittings as well as the bit about Tom's Modelworks picking up the WEM line, I remember reading that not so long ago. Personally I thought the TW PE was always a bit on the thin side, but does fill the void when needed.

I think in the end, if Trumpeter could force the hand with the kit maker to change the bow sheer, that would translate into a 100% improvement of what they have. The guns are not to difficult to construct or with any luck, purchase in the near future again from Tom's. No kit is ever perfect, it is just a matter of seeing how close it can come to being perfect.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the bow, you are making fine strides to correct the problem. Personally I would have though adding the 2 mm or so rise would be done with styrene card stock and fared back in, but certainly raising the deck and filling works just as well.

The bow sheer line correction should start from around the breakwater going forward, so I really securely glued in a piece of sprue into the V of the prow (on the inside hull) which extended about 2 1/2 mm high. I then bent up the deck slightly at the point of the breakwater, and securely glued the deck in position (from the forecastle break to the breakwater) and the point of the prow rested on the piece of sprue. The deck now had the correct sheer line and rose to the correct height at the prow. Now the bow hull sides had to be corrected to both the new sheer line as well as flare shape - as the sheer rises, the flare has also to be extended outwards to follow it's contour. I filled in with plastic strip to build it up then covered with putty. After a couple of days to set up securely I sanded, and sanded, and sanded... After that correction the prow of the deck has to be lengthened slightly (about 2 mm.) and widened to fit the new wider flare with plastic strip. Not too difficult, but a lot of putty work and shaping, and more putty, and lots of sanding. As for the launch - it looks more like the standard German motor launch on Graf Spee, Prinz Eugen, etc. Trumpeter really fudged this one! Admiralty Modelworks might make better ones. WEM made beautiful replacement 4" and 4.7 " turrets, but that ship has sailed!
 _GOTOTOP