_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/350 Amphibious Hospital Ship
Cracked_Ice
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 05:36 AM UTC
I have a current build that I am working on which is converting a 1/350 Gallery Models USS Wasp LHD into a amphibious hospital/humanitarian relief ship. I have two build logs going on other sites, one of which is here:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=156955
I thought it would be a nice fun project and a great "change of pace" from all the normal ships I see. I have a few questions that I could use some advice and help on.
1. Does the flight deck look wide and long enough so that spectators can see down into the hangar bay and also the Well deck?
2. Should additional electrical lighting be installed in the vehicle storage bay and the aircraft hangar bay, or do you think there would be enough normal light sources (Sunshine, Ceiling lights, etc.) that would come through the cutout openings so that the interior is visible?
3. Does the cutout look big enough in the hangar bay floor to see down into the LCAC well deck?
(Please view above link for more pics.)

I made cutouts in the flight deck and hangar bay floor because I'm tired of not being able to see the interiors of carriers and amphibious ships. The cutouts I made will be replaced with clear acrylic sheet.

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:29 AM UTC
Nice build you have going on Eric! Thanks for sharing a little bit of it with us! The cut-a-way is a great concept for these ships!!
Cracked_Ice
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thanks. I still have a lot of work to go yet. Probably won't be finished for another year yet. I got the idea for this project because I read that the US Navy MERCY class hospital ships are old and obsolete, and need replacing. And what better way to replace them than with an amphibious ship. Bigger flight deck for recieving patients and cargo, as well as a well deck too!

I do appreciate that people want to detail the interiors of their aircraft carriers and amphibious ships. But when the flight decks are put on, you can't see much of anything. I'm taking the bull by the horns so to speak and changing that. I WANT people to see the interior. And I hope they'll enjoy it too.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 07:10 AM UTC
Great to see you going after what you want! I have come across a number of really awesome armor cut-a-ways and love seeing the innards! Why should a ship be any different! Seen a couple nice sub-chops that are really cool! This will be fantastic once completed!! Be sure to share more with us in the future!!
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 07:27 PM UTC
Very nice. Really cool idea. I've got the same kit, and want to do it as ESSEX LHD-2. She is part of the USS ESSEX Association CV/CVA/CVS-9/LHD-2 Association inc. My interest is I'm the Assistant treasurer for the association and served on ESSEX CVS-9 in the 60's.

Will be following this build with great interest and hopefully pick up some ideas. Hope you don't mind if I incorporate some of your ideas in my build.

Thanks for posting.

EJ
Cracked_Ice
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice. Really cool idea. I've got the same kit, and want to do it as ESSEX LHD-2. She is part of the USS ESSEX Association CV/CVA/CVS-9/LHD-2 Association inc. My interest is I'm the Assistant treasurer for the association and served on ESSEX CVS-9 in the 60's.

Will be following this build with great interest and hopefully pick up some ideas. Hope you don't mind if I incorporate some of your ideas in my build.

Thanks for posting.

EJ

What sort of plans and ideas did you have for your build?
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:00 AM UTC
I have the decal set to mark it correctly for ESSEX, a PE set and some Marine vehicles and aircraft. I just like the idea of opening it up in some manner to be able to see the well deck and such.

EJ
 _GOTOTOP