_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Z-15 Flak Upgrade
leo_cohn
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:39 AM UTC
I would like to rebuild what is supposed to be the Z-15 with the Barbara flak upgrade, with dual twin 37mm mounts, based on a photo in Koop & Schmolke's German Destroyers of WWII on page 157.

However, I am not sure that it is Z-15, as another ship with black funnel caps is also identified as Z-15 on p. 156.

I found a cropped copy of the photo on http://www.steelnavy.com/images/WEM%20400%20German%20AA/GerAA5299twin37.JPG.
Does anybody have any other photo sources or other info?
Thanks,
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 03:13 AM UTC
Leo, unfortunately the link doesn't work so I can't see the photo however the information in the book, German destroyers of World War Two by M. J. Whitley states that Z-15 'Steinbrinck' was rearmed as follows: 3.7cm outfit as for 'Lody' in seven twin mounts for 14 guns plus twin 2cm on forecastle and bridge wings plus Vierling for a total of ten guns.

Hope that's of some help.
leo_cohn
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:19 PM UTC
I think that you must exclude the full stop ( period ) after the JPG file extension to get the link to work.

I have also found this link in The BluePrints site :
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ships/destroyers-germany/65408/view/dkm_z15_erich_steinbrinck_1945_/

This matches your verbal description, but the photo in the book has 2 pairs of twin 37mm, on 2 levels, just at the end of the bridge, without the usual "wings". It also seems to have a large, modified structure in front of the bridge with 1 or 2 quad Flakvierlings.

The photo in the book may not even be of the Z-15 ( based on the funnel caps colours ), but that is what I am hoping somebody can clarify.

Thanks,
Leo
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 02:00 AM UTC
Leo, have a look here at this paper model build of Z-15. It has all the 3.7's in the places mentioned the only thing I see wrong are the 20mm singles should be twins. So just replace them with twins.

Can I ask what kit your building?
leo_cohn
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 08:48 PM UTC
That is a beautiful model. That more or less matches the other photos in the book that are labelled as being of the Z-15.

However, the mystery photo has 2 twin 37 mm mounts just abaft the bridge, with the wings removed (!), and what appears to be 1 or Flakvierlings on a structure directly in front of the bridge.

Nothing in that photo resembles the excellent paper model or the similar drawing found on the Blueprints site.

So, if it is not Z-15, which may very well be the case, I am still trying to figure what ship might the photo represent.

Regards,
Leo
leo_cohn
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC
I forgot to note that I have the Zvezda Z-17 that I was planning to modify based on the this photo I keep going on about.

The photo of the bridge shape around FuM radar and the direction finder would seem to indicate one of the earlier Zerstorers, but, at this point, I am not sure of that.

Regards,
Leo
 _GOTOTOP