My first Submarine (I-19)
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
Good Morning to all ship builders

Mainly I am an Armored vehicles modeler but I thought to try something different so I am totally a beginner here.
I decided to build the Japanese I-19 by AFV club.
This is the first time ever to build a sub and first attempt to create a water line.
I am aware of many flaws in this work, mainly the distance between the waves and the sub body because I did the base on the trace of the sub and was afraid to ruin it by sticking the waves on it.
I also need advice about how to create the wires on a sub or ship, i used these knitting thread I found at home but they turned out to have these small bits coming out and when I painted it they clogged a lot. so can you advise me the best type of wire to use for such project?

Here is the build:

The Kit:

Photoetch parts:

Primer

The string

assembled model:

Making the base:
Plaster

The finished model and base:

Thanks for letting me know your advise on how to improve on my next model
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 03:38 AM UTC
There is no reason for criticism here: the finish is first rate (you are obviously an accomplished armor modeler), and your premiere water base is excellent. As for your rigging question, stretched sprue works best for me, even if it's tricky to handle.

For your next ship, try placing it at an angle to the borders of the water base to up the visual interest factor a notch.

Well done!

--Karl
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:09 AM UTC
Welcome over the the wet side of things here on MSW Hussein! Fine job on the I-19...especially being your first floaty!! Well done! Karl is spot on with popping things on a slight angle..all visual, like in armor. As for the rigging, You can try stretched sprue as Karl mentioned as well as EZ-Line or Uschi's Rig-It. Threads tend to have fibers which will fray as well as catch paint and dust. There is some give to these lines as well. Glue one end and you can pull them tight to glue the other. The light will appear tight but still retains a certain level of elasticity.

Again, fine job for you first one! Hope you come back and dive in again soon!!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hussein,

Wow~! Excellent model! I will have to acquire one. Your finish is top-notch. Rigging is always difficult in this scale. Your water: try brushing it with a clear gloss and it should be fantastic.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 06:32 PM UTC
Thanks to all for the valuable advice
Looking forward to start a new naval project
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hussein,

I have seen your work on Armorama, which is superb, and those skills have defiantely transfered over to the wetter side of the house. Excellent work on your submarine.

Your water looks good and as Fredrick mentioned applying clear gloss will add to the realism. Another option for water is the use of medium or heavy gel acrylic. This will add depth to the water.

We have some Shipwright Campaigns on going if your interested. I know you would be a great addition to the crew and it is a great place to learn tips and techniques.

I was a die hard armor builder until I participated in the Mighty Battleship Campaign, now I can;t seem to get enough ships in the stash or find enough time to work on all the ones I want to build. Plus these guys are a great bunch and very helpful in providing advice and assistance.

just my two cents.

Welcome aboard and hope to see more of your work.

Dave
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 04:33 PM UTC
Thanks Dave for the valuable information.

I am not really sure what "Shipright campaigns" mean exactly.
Does it require group work or that builders be in the same country?
It am interested to know more.

Cheers

Hussein
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hussein,

The shiwrights are this group of exceptional model ship builders and the campaigns are like the ones on Armorama. Basically a group build of different model ships under a common theme, such as the "Mighty Battleship" Campaign or the "Battle of Leyte Gulf" Campaign.

There is no requirement to be in the same country.

If your interested the "Battle of Leyte Gulf" Campaign is active until October 2015.

Anyway, it is good to have you aboard.

Dave
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:31 PM UTC
Thanks Dave,

That is very interesting indeed.
Which ships do you suggest for this campaign.

Cheers

Hussein
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hussein

On page one of the campaign thread is a link to a website listing all of the ships and airplane types that participated in the battle. You are free to chose from that list and enter it into the campaign

Dave
 _GOTOTOP