_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Origami railing?
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:37 AM UTC
Is there a preffered view when it comes to installing the railings that you should fold to fit or cut to fit around superstructures.
Here is a hexagonal structure

Now the builder has helpfully already installed the rigging so the fold method took about 45 mins of bend and test, bend and test to get the outcome

Would others have just cut six sides to fit? I am just interested.
And while pondering that, would you rig or rail first?

cheers
Michael
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 03:31 PM UTC
I'd think it was a matter of access weather to rig or rail first.
Ideally, I believe that when a length of railing changes direction (I'll admit to not always following my own advice here) there should be a stanchion (upright) at that point. Espesially if trying to depict chain or wire type of railing.
Tom

edit:
What model is that?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:28 PM UTC
That looks to be a bit of a paint to do Michael! I think with a piece of this shape pe-bend the piece before construction so it's a little easier to line up and yes, install before the rigging in my opinion. The multiple piece method would work to in this situation may be better...at least less frustration installing the part I think! Good luck!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:32 PM UTC
Hi Michael, I agree with Tom and Todd. It is mostly about access. I usually find it simpler to rail first, working from inner structures and moving outward finishing with deck edges. I typically rig last.

As for complex decks, I bend the photoetch if possible, but it is usually necessary to cut it into small sections to get an exact fit. I did this on the Olympia superstructure:

Although fiddly,installing the railing in short runs enables me to get very precise fits from generic rails, and it also offers the advantage of easier replacement of sections in the event of damage.

Nice job on your own railing job so far, by the way!

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:26 PM UTC
Inspiring and helpful!
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:42 AM UTC
Thanks all for the helpful comments and suggestions.

Tom, I agree stanchions would look good but I find railing fiddly enough. I might give it a try though on this deck and see how the patience holds out. The kit is Iron Shipwrights HMS Ajax being built as a sister ship Achilles for the BoA campaign.

Todd, rigging or railing first. I did railings first last time and they were always in the way. What I do think working through this I need to plan both together to ensure they can be completed around each other.

Tim,
That Olympia build was amazing and looking at the preciseness of you railing work in that photo, it is pretty amazing. Fortunately that superstructure I pictured is the most complex bit, the rest is pretty much long run railing.

cheers all,

Michael

_GOTOTOP